Has the Copper crash affected your sorting?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Has the Copper crash affected your sorting?

Postby Henchman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Since I started sorting pennies it's been a whirlwind of fun. Looking for wheats, rares and TD bank dumping :lol: I love going to the bank to dump, so does my daughter :D

My work hours changed with the school year and now I can't get to all the banks I used to pick up from. Which isn't a bad thing, I was doing a bit too much too fast and now I have 3 garbage cans to sort through for uglies, wheats etc. still. And that's the problem now :o with the huge dip in copper prices, I am almost content to leave those uglies in with my clean and just keep sorting. I was going to work at it tonight after the kids went to bed but I just didn't have the interest.

It's one of those good problems to have. A big pile of coppers but sorting out the uglies seems so tedious now.

Anyone else being affected by the crash?

EDIT - Just wanted to mention I have not stopped sorting from my bank sources. I have just stopped sorting out the uglies from my good coppers because of the crash. Anyone looking for an Ugly sorting job? :D

Cheers,
Henchman
Last edited by Henchman on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Has the Copper crash affected your sorting?

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Yes, the copper crash has given me hope that all people who have been sorting will stop so I can finally start getting some higher ratios of copper to zoinckers!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:03 am

This is coming from a guy who has sorted less than $100 FV, stopping on a dip? That just don't sound right to me.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tn-dave » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:44 am

Henchman wrote: now I have 3 garbage cans to sort through for uglies, wheats etc. still

tractorman, how do you fill 3 garbage cans after sorting $100 FV.?
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:58 am

That would be a neat trick! ;-) I just meant my opinion, from a guy who has sorted less that 100FV (me) very small-time, but I'm hip to the idea ... why would folks wanna stop on a dip?
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:12 am

Of course I mean for anyone in for the long-haul. There's a melt ban that makes any short-term fluctuations moot anyway, right?
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:19 am

Maybe some discouraged sorters will dump their copper stash back into circulation for the rest of us to find. :twisted:
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tn-dave » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:37 am

tractorman wrote:That would be a neat trick! ;-) I just meant my opinion, from a guy who has sorted less that 100FV (me) very small-time, but I'm hip to the idea ... why would folks wanna stop on a dip?

Totally missunderstood your post and I apologize... I guess the thinking is when copper levels are at the point where pre-82s are 3-4x face melt value it is "worth it" -- But lately I've seen a few posts here in the buy it now section selling copper cents at 1.5X shipped and they took a few days to sell. I'm guessing that is getting to the point of "is it worth the time?" for some folks (not me) ;)
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:50 am

I'm very low volume too. $50 a week. I can't really afford more because what doesn't get returned has to be counted as saved. This is fine but right now amount isn't too high :(
Never really looked what copper prices were when I started. Thought it was a good idea and I enjoy looking for the wheats.

Chris
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Common Cents » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:04 pm

News flash- metal prices will undergo huge price swings during this time of economic turbulence, but the up-trend will remain firmly in place. Only the severely shortsighted will let this latest dip affect their sorting efforts. By the end of the year gold will be back over 1800, silver back over 40 and copper back over 4.00/lb. Book it.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Bartender » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Common Cents wrote:the up-trend will remain firmly in place. Only the severely shortsighted will let this latest dip affect their sorting efforts.

I agree 100%. The short-term outlook has changed, but the elements for future catastrophe haven't gone away. The dips have allowed me to add to positions and hasn't changed my sorting at all. I had dropped to near zero when class started back for the fall, but now I've found a good rhythm where I can get all my work done and still sort like a madman - especially on weekends - and I'm only looking ahead from here.
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenagers." - P.J. O'Rourke
Bartender
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:07 pm

It hasn't affected my sorting at all. I am putting it away for the long term.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby crazypennyguy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:50 pm

It doesn't say much about my timing: I got started just before the crash. But no, it hasn't affected my pace. I guess I'll be satisfied to just come out ahead. Perhaps I'm more in it for the fun and the blogging.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:51 pm

I anything my interest in sorting has gone up. I was asking myself if there was a single asset that couldn't be turned upside down by Bernanke and the answer came to me that pennies and nickels are pretty much it. If the alloy drops to zero in fiat dollars, you can still spend it!
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby CoolRide » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:50 pm

We have learned from many years in commodities AND stocks, and realestate, that when prices are (or just have) fallen by a fairly large percent, it is usually a good time to buy. I can't buy right now, so we just sort more! (I guess that is "buying", but I mean in bulk which I can't do)
So yes the "crash" has affected it.
We have gone from a 2 months ago not knowing nuthin about pennies to..
20 ($25) boxes + misc cwr's this last month.
Probably 50 boxes or so this mo, etc. Now that we have set up acounts just to do this. However with only 4 banks in town, we will limit out soon I bet.
And now that one of our new Bank will accept $50 fv bags? :shock:

Edit, looking to buy a automatic counter. ;)
Just saving money.

"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun!" Herman Munster
CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:27 pm

The swings will leave serious hoarders unaffected. Considering it was very hard to realize a value of 3 cents before when prices were higher anyway.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:09 pm

My only problem is that my half sorting has picked up. But I bought a few bags from my daughter’s boy-friend. So no... at least I would like to think that. lol
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Not the copper crash but the silver dip has me dumping my pennies so I can buy the silver. There are lots of copper pennies out there. $30 silver may not be around much more.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby xpred558 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:30 pm

No way, I would do more if i had the money to put in it.
xpred558

Postby texcollex » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:16 am

The only things affecting my sorting are the 2000+ mile trip I'm about to make across country pulling my travel trailer. I'm about maxed out on the weight I can haul. That reminds me: I have a small hoard of zincolns I need to cash in before I leave! I also started putting more into silver when the price started dropping.
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby didou » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:07 am

If anything the price drop has increase my interest in buying more copper, nickel, silver and gold.

Nothing has change in the world, if anything it's worst than a month ago AND the price is dropping ? to me it's just another very clear example on how bad the system his manipulated, leading to more sorting and buying, not less.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby brexzz1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Copper down another 22 cents again today.

Not good.
brexzz1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby texcollex » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Sorry for you guys who are actively selling and not making much margin on your copper. I'm good with lower prices since I'm a sort and hold kinda guy. Wish I had the cash unfettered to buy a ton or so of coppers.
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Seems to me so long as the melt ban is in place the $150 per $100 face customary price should remain little changed whether copper is $5 lb or $2 lb. I seriously doubt anyone would be willing to unload a bag for $115 even if cents fell all the way to par value.

Who's going to do all that work (ryedale sorters included) for a measly 15 bucks?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby brexzz1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:49 am

Market price is market price. If copper were $2 a pound, have fun trying to sell $100 FV of copper pennies to someone for $150. Not going to happen
brexzz1
Penny Sorter Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing