1982 Proof Set. . . cent copper or zinc?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

1982 Proof Set. . . cent copper or zinc?

Postby slvrbck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:50 pm

So. . . I had the pleasure of being born in the great year 1982. I also had great parents that introduced me to coins at birth and would gift me coins for special occasions as well as usually purchasing a proof set for each birthday. Anyway, I happened to be looking through some of the stuff today when I became curious (as some of us addicted sorters do) if the 1982 cent in the proof set was copper or zinc. I am usually pretty good at being able to tell just by looking, but in the proof state and being sealed in the slab I cannot begin to guess. It seems as though there was only one edition of the set produced that year. Just wondering if anyone had any insight. Knowing that cent was copper would make me smile. :P
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Re: 1982 Proof Set. . . cent copper or zinc?

Postby everything » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:25 am

All the proofs struck that year stayed copper. Here is a cool article about the 1982 transition and the eight different coins.

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle ... icleID=195
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 1982 Proof Set. . . cent copper or zinc?

Postby slvrbck » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:49 am

Interesting article, definitely answered my question. Many thanks!
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing