Nice sale of regular penny rolls with no tricks

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Nice sale of regular penny rolls with no tricks

Postby CardsNCoins » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:34 am

First and foremost I am not affiliated with the eBay auction linked below. I just happened upon it while searching completed auctions, and thought it was an interesting way to sell regular rolls of pennies. It isn't deceptive like the usual eBay dopes, and it looks like 3 separate bidders were interested above the $25 price point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Rolls-Unsearched-circulated-Pennies-copper-Wheat-bullion-/230679055433?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35b58b0c49
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Nice sale of regular penny rolls with no tricks

Postby SoFa » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 am

I feel sorry for his customers.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:16 am

CardsNCoins wrote: It isn't deceptive like the usual eBay dopes,

I disagree. It may technically by definition not be "deceptive" but it sure does imply that you have a chance at finding all these key date coins. And I suppose you DO have that chance but there is about as much of a chance of finding any of the coins listed as the sun coming up in the west tomorrow.

This guy paid $50.00 for $16.50 worth of coins. He paid for $12.00 worth of zincers and $4.50 worth of copper pennies if the rolls yield 20% copper.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby merchoarder » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:34 am

Funny, I was at the hospital this morning for about two hours with my gf (nothing serious). So I was killing time in the waitin room browsing eBay and came across this too. Actually another identical auction, same seller, no bids yet. I immediately thought of Neil and his stance on unsearched half rolls. That subject has been discussed ad nauseum and doesn't really need to be readdressed. Amazing what people will buy! Possible IH is quite a stretch, not to mention flying eagles!!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby lewbo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 am

This seller also has a $100 Walmart gift card for sale starting at $115. Unless I missed something nothing special about the card.
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby merchoarder » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:44 am

Kinda off topic but I also came across a bunch of nd farmers auctions for wheat rolls. Now thats truth in advertising, "common date 40's and 50's." I like those machine wrapped rolls, may have to pick some up for the little nieces and nephews. By comparison with Nds straight up auction, the other does come off kinda deceitful.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:47 am

NDFarmer wrote:......And I suppose you DO have that chance but.......

That's where the lawyer would stop you and rest his case.

NDFarmer wrote:...there is about as much of a chance of finding any of the coins listed as the sun coming up in the west tomorrow.........

Any of the coins listed? Except for the Indian and flying Eagle everything else is almost guaranteed to be found.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:22 am

CardsNCoins wrote: Except for the Indian and flying Eagle everything else is almost guaranteed to be found.

So then why list them. If those coins were not listed the auction would be a lot more credible. Even though your chances of finding a wheat penny in $15.00 worth of pennies is slim to none. If you run the same auction with no mention of Flying Eagles and Indian Heads and just a slight chance of finding a wheat penny those coins don't sell for anywhere near $50.00
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mishra142 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:52 am

just do a search for "unsearched half dollar" people selling boxes for $650 and rolls for $12-16. crazy...
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:55 am

NDFarmer wrote:....Even though your chances of finding a wheat penny in $15.00 worth of pennies is slim to none.........

That's not true at all. I don't pretend to know the wheat ratios in N.D., but here in N.Y.C., 30 rolls of pennies should net me 10 wheat pennies. It's 1:3 almost like clockwork.

Now I am not trying to say that 10 wheat pennies justifies the final bid, but with 3 different bidders pursuing, he may be onto something. All he did is list what's possible, not probable. Yes you and I and everyone here at RC know better, but all I'm saying is that:

A) He didn't lie
B) He didn't create some fake roll with rare enders
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 pm

CardsNCoins wrote: I don't pretend to know the wheat ratios in N.D.,

I guess our wheat ratio per 30 rolls is a lot lower here. I have been through many $50.00 bags without finding a single wheat penny.

CardsNCoins wrote:A) He didn't lie
B) He didn't create some fake roll with rare enders

No he didn't lie and no he didn't create any rolls. But he does imply that you have a chance of finding these RARE key date coins in the rolls. As I said before I suppose technically that chance does exist but the chances of finding any of those RARE key date coins in circulation are so remote that they are almost nonexistent.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CardsNCoins » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:14 pm

NDFarmer wrote:........I suppose technically that chance does exist.......

Agreed.

NDFarmer wrote:....... but the chances of finding any of those RARE key date coins in circulation are so remote that they are almost nonexistent.

Agreed.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 1badmf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:15 pm

too funny
1badmf

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:06 am

At $50 I think he can afford to salt a few wheats and indians into those rolls. In the old days ND Farmer's wheat cent auctions used to show an Indian or 2 on the end of a machine wrapped roll in the box.. so you could be sure you were going to get 1 or 2.. and you could just imagine the possibilities of what other goodies might be inside. Alas, some buyers were dissapointed that the only Indians they found were the ones showing on the ends of the rolls in the pics. What is the possibility of that? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby pennypanner » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:37 pm

I have found two Indian Heads in the past three months in boxes that I bought from the bank. I don''t know how many roll of wheats I have found in the same time period. The possibility is real. If the buyer pays $50 for 30 rolls when he could have bought 100 rolls for the same price that is on him.
pennypanner

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:35 pm

I think I'm wasting time sorting before I sell. This guy is getting almost as much per $15 FV as I do for all copper cents.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing