Banks that accept loose coin in bags?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Banks that accept loose coin in bags?

Postby mtldealer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:42 am

I am on the West Coast and can't seem to find anyone that accepts loose coin in bags? Does anyone have any suggestions? I read a post about the Coinstar dump with greendot card and think that might be my only option? I appreciate all the help anyone can offer.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Re: Banks that accept loose coin in bags?

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:54 am

What part of the West coast? PM me if you don't want to post.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Try BoA
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:42 pm

mtldealer wrote:I am on the West Coast and can't seem to find anyone that accepts loose coin in bags? Does anyone have any suggestions? I read a post about the Coinstar dump with greendot card and think that might be my only option? I appreciate all the help anyone can offer.

I'm in So Cal and I have not yet found a bank where I can dump bags of loose pennies. They all want them rolled. CoinStar has been my only dumping option so far. I posted about the Green Dot pre-paid card option the other day even though I don't actually use it mayself. I thought it might be useful for others that find themselves without better options. I choose the grocery store gift card option with CoinStar and have run into a little string of luck where the machine has technical difficulties and pays out a cash voucher instead without any fee.

Like the other poster said, maybe we should give BofA a try. I haven't gone to them yet.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Greatwun » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:53 am

I've used BOA with those coin safe bags. Just drop the coins in, seal up the bag and fill out the label, turn in to teller.
Greatwun
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:56 am

I have used BofA to dump loose also. I generally precount my bags though.. since I have all those high speed counters. I believe WF also accepts loose coin.. not sure if it has to be precounted. I turn in bags of precounted halves there every week. I am in CA also.. so the banks are about the same up here as they are in southern CA. Not a lot of banks have lobby coin counting machines in CA. You might try local Credit Unions though.. some of them have machines. There are always other options.. you could buy a coin counting machine very reasonably.. or even splurge and get you own automatic rolling machine so you have nice rolled coin to turn in at all those banks. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby mtldealer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:28 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I have used BofA to dump loose also. I generally precount my bags though.. since I have all those high speed counters. I believe WF also accepts loose coin.. not sure if it has to be precounted. I turn in bags of precounted halves there every week. I am in CA also.. so the banks are about the same up here as they are in southern CA. Not a lot of banks have lobby coin counting machines in CA. You might try local Credit Unions though.. some of them have machines. There are always other options.. you could buy a coin counting machine very reasonably.. or even splurge and get you own automatic rolling machine so you have nice rolled coin to turn in at all those banks. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the idea's... I have a couple machines including a klopp crimper. I am just trying to set up a system that will be the least laborsome. I have a sc 22? it sorts all mixed coin and deposits them into shotgun rolls. I also have a hopper sorter that I use to count bags that i have already seperated from the sc22. I found a place that ships shotgun tubes for what amounts to .01 per tube, whether its penny or half dollar. I would be interested in walking into the local CVS and dumping $500 in pennies and walking out with a green point card :D

Thank You all, for your suggestions.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:35 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I have used BofA to dump loose also. I generally precount my bags though.. since I have all those high speed counters. I believe WF also accepts loose coin.. not sure if it has to be precounted. I turn in bags of precounted halves there every week. I am in CA also.. so the banks are about the same up here as they are in southern CA. Not a lot of banks have lobby coin counting machines in CA. You might try local Credit Unions though.. some of them have machines. There are always other options.. you could buy a coin counting machine very reasonably.. or even splurge and get you own automatic rolling machine so you have nice rolled coin to turn in at all those banks. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give BofA or WF a try. I've pretty much just been using Chase and they only take rolled coins (and they don't have boxes anymore for pickup - just rolled coins from their customers). My local credit union and the other two credit unions nearby that I am eligible to join all charge a fee for their coin counting otherwise I would use one of them.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing