Selling Coppers on Craigslist

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Selling Coppers on Craigslist

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:38 pm

I just sold $100 FV of coppers on Craigslist for $140 cash.

No packing, no shipping, no hassle. All I did was help him load the coinlok bag into his Lexus SUV.

We did the transaction in the parking lot of a Starbucks that's 3 min from my house. The best part is that he want's to buy more :D
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Re: Selling Coppers on Craigslist

Postby Greatwun » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:52 pm

I've been thinking about doing this. May I ask, did you get many responses once you put up the ad? I've sold 90% silver on craigslist but I took me a while to find someone who would buy it at 10% under spot.
Greatwun
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Greatwun wrote:I've been thinking about doing this. May I ask, did you get many responses once you put up the ad? I've sold 90% silver on craigslist but I took me a while to find someone who would buy it at 10% under spot.

I put up some listings a year or so back. Got a few nibbles and one buy did bite. Sold him a decent amount for a fair price. But I've vowed not to let any go for less than 2x, and I haven't tried since.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:00 pm

I have 2 tons on CL right now for $9500. No bites except some clown who offered me $3000 I baited him for a few mins then hung up on him lol
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Greatwun wrote:I've been thinking about doing this. May I ask, did you get many responses once you put up the ad? I've sold 90% silver on craigslist but I took me a while to find someone who would buy it at 10% under spot.

I've bought and sold silver on Craigslist at or around spot a few times. I suspect that I could have sold for above spot, but I was in a hurry.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:08 pm

I always get many responses for silver the same day. As for the coppers, I got one buyer the same day today. However, he wanted to meet me to buy this afternoon ASAP. He also wants to buy more as soon as I have more available. Not a bad problem to have :D

Keep in mind that I live in a major metropolitan area.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby wbeck » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:12 am

I'd imagine you could sell a lot on CL over time. It will likely be sporadic, but if there's no "need" to move quick, and you just want to sit on it and get whatever price you decide, I bet you could move a fair bit. Plus, think of the people like the one he has who wants to buy more. A couple people who would buy a lot could make the whole thing worth it.
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Postby H2SO4 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:56 pm

I enjoy selling on craigslist because you never know what kind of folks your going to interact with. I once sold some silver to a women who had a jeep wrangler with a soft top and metal panels for windows on the back. she said it was more 'secure' and safe for transporting stuff and looked cooler. wtf? its a soft top. I could make my own door with a standard issue boy scout knife. gotta love craigslist stories.
H2SO4
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing