Buying circulated dollars from mint

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Buying circulated dollars from mint

Postby lewbo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:01 pm

I know I read some stuff about these in the past, but I am trying to max out my discover bonus points and I need to "buy" $1000 this month. I see the mint will ship at face with free shipping, has anybody done this and does it go through as a purchase? I do see the mint has a note discouraging this type of transaction, but not sure what they can do to stop. One of my dump banks had a coin counter so I would just dump them back over time.
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Buying circulated dollars from mint

Postby misteroman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:00 am

seen it done before with cards and thought they stopped it
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dakota1955 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 am

I buy every year from the mint I keep some but I spend the rest. $1000 worth some could be dumped.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:39 am

misteroman wrote:seen it done before with cards and thought they stopped it

They didn't completly stop it. Now you have to fill out a some paperwork and explain what you are useing them for and blah blah blah.

Personally thats to many hoops to jump through to earn a few dollars.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby PolishPunisher » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 am

I believe that you can get $1000 every other week. I just got a box of $250 the other day and have been gleefully spending them around town, but I am really into dollar coins.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby chris6084 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:02 pm

highroller4321 wrote:

They didn't completly stop it. Now you have to fill out a some paperwork and explain what you are useing them for and blah blah blah.

You do not have to fill out any forms. I beleive this was going on during the unlimited days when people were ordering $20,000+ in coins. You are now limited to $1000 every 10 days. You do agree, however, per the terms of the website that you will not immediatley deposit the coins in a bank. I have made a few purchases, and have had no problems getting the points.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:57 am

chris6084 wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

You do not have to fill out any forms. I beleive this was going on during the unlimited days when people were ordering $20,000+ in coins. You are now limited to $1000 every 10 days. You do agree, however, per the terms of the website that you will not immediatley deposit the coins in a bank. I have made a few purchases, and have had no problems getting the points.

No, the thing was, back when the Mint had stockpiles of the dollar coins, they cooked up the scheme where you can get a $1000....whatever shipped to you free of charge in order to "help" circulate the coins. Some enterprising individuals used the purchases to pad rewards/airline miles on their credit cards by buying the coins, then upon receipt, depositing the coins into the bank, and then instantly paying the balance on the cards. There were sites on the net where people gave advice on how to do this efficiently. Either the credit card companies, the banks (who began getting stockpiles of useless coins) or the mint got wind of this scheme and cracked down.

In effect, the Mint frelled up and people took advantage of it.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:27 am

P1070261.jpg
P1070261.jpg (121.74 KiB) Viewed 798 times
They come in rolls of $25.00 in a box of $250 so it makes them easy to spend! :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing