Miniature Penny

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Miniature Penny

Postby Red King » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:55 pm

I apologize of this was on a prior thread, as I believe I remember seeing it, but unsure of where/when.

Earlier today, I purchased a decent lot of coins (pre-65s, foreigns, etc.) and am in the process of researching them. I came across a miniature penny (fits within the rim of a normal penny), though unfortunately it's heavily damaged, and the date is not readable.

If anyone has any idea what I am talking about, what would a decent condition one would be worth?

Thank you!
Red King
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Miniature Penny

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Could someone have been trying to make a ring and got to the first step see http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Ring-from-a-Silver-Coin
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Cool link, I have seen some nice half rings for sale on ebay and was wondering about them. Definitely will try this one
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jasmatk » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:59 pm

cool link but wtf a large spoon? a hammer ok but what kind of spoon would you use to form a coin like that
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:02 am

You just keep tapping, and tapping, and tapping. Obviously it is only for people that have even more time than us serious sorters. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby fasteddy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:24 am

probably $0.01...i don't think they are considered mint errors...i just came across another one....the rim is fatter, convex and concentric all the way around...fits inside the diameter of a normal penny...like it was caught in some rolling type machine...its been mentioned a clothes dryer on here before but I am thinking it was caught in one of Hoards rolling machines and got loose somehow....agreed it is unusual so it goes into the "cup".
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Insane-O » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:22 am

Stories of miniature coins always remind me of the high voltage shrinker guy at Stoneridge Engineering. http://205.243.100.155/frames/interesting1.html
Insane-O

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Coins don't escape Hoard's penny processing center unless he liberates them to the bank.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Red King » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Man, I never have time to post here anymore :(

Cool link, Henry. I don't think it was meant for a ring, though. It may have been something somone made as a souvenir-type item, or such. Oh well, I'll keep it for now. Like I said, it's pretty much destroyed anyway, so the only value is the uniqueness.
Red King
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:15 am

I found another one of these cents going round and round in my coin counter last night...its in the cup.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby styropyro » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:53 pm

By any chance is it the same width as a dime? I've came across a penny that apperaed to be machined down to the size of a dime, probably used to trick vending machines or coin counters.
Building the hoard, 1/10 of an ounce at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/styropyro
styropyro
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing