Is There A Ryedale That Handles Non-Canadian, Non-U.S. Cents

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is There A Ryedale That Handles Non-Canadian, Non-U.S. Cents

Postby crazypennyguy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:33 am

I was wondering: is there a model of Ryedale that can sort copper from non-copper (zinc, etc.) for U.K. pence coins or pennies from other countries?

If not, it there a Ryedale-like sorter that can?

Thanks.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Is There A Ryedale That Handles Non-Canadian, Non-U.S. C

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:09 am

Just tried it. Off the shelf Ryedale works with UK New pennies in a Ryedale you put a test coin in and it sort from that. So if it fits down the shoot it works. See http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9083
First Issued 15 February 1971
Specifications
Diameter 20.3mm
Weight 3.56g
Thickness
Bronze: 1.52mm
Copper-plated steel: 1.65mm
Composition Bronze (97% copper, 2.5% zinc, 0.5% tin) - until September 1992
Copper-plated steel - since September 1992
Obverse Designers Portrait of Her Majesty the Queen
1971-1984 Arnold Machin
1985-1997 - Raphael Maklouf
1998 to date - Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS
Reverse
Designers 1971-2008 - Christopher Ironside
2008 - Matthew Dent
Edge Plain
Background Information

The United Kingdom 1p coin was one of three new coins introduced into general circulation on the 15 February 1971 when the United Kingdom adopted a new decimal currency system. The other two new coins were the 1/2p and 2p coins.

To avoid confusion between the old and new coinage all three coins had the word 'NEW' incorporated into the reverse design. This was later removed in 1982.

The first copper-plated steel 1p coins were struck in 1992. The reason for this change was the increase in the price of metals on the world markets. The coins have a mild steel core and are electroplated with copper - consequently they are magnetic.

The 1p coin is legal tender for amounts up to 20p.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Note to self take UK test penny out before sorting US cents. :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:44 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Note to self take UK test penny out before sorting US cents. :D

Thanks for this post, I needed a good laugh.

I have made a couple of similar notes to myself, for instance, after clearing a jam, i need to put a penny back in the machine or it jams up again.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby crazypennyguy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks a lot for testing it. I asked because the Guinness people say that a record should be international in scope. The Ryedale working on U.K. pennies means that a hand-sorter in the U.K. can use one to test his or her accuracy after a hand-sorting bout. That means three big countries are covered so far: Canada, the U.S. and the U.K.

The trouble is, the EU always had steelies for their 1 - and 2-cent coins. But I'm sure, if Guinness accepts my proposal, the French will come up with a rational alternative. :)
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing