How to identify boxes?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How to identify boxes?

Postby baggerman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:22 pm

With all the talk of Brinks and their hoarding how can one determine where the boxes come from? I usually get the following that have no markings.
1. Plain box that just says $25 pennies (rolls stacked horizontally)
2. Box with little holes so you can see one end of each roll (rolls stacked vertically)
3. Bags from Wells fargo plain brown wrappers
4. Rolls from US bank that have white wrappers
The only roll I have ever had that had any type of markings was a roll tht was marked Loomis. I am on the west coast if that makes any difference.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: How to identify boxes?

Postby spjegues » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:07 pm

1- Plain box plastic rolls - Brinks
2- holed boxes for me are loomis in my area
3- ?
4- Us bank in my area is Brinks
spjegues
Penny Sorter Member

Postby baggerman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks, should have stated that everything is paper rolls.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tinhorn » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:49 am

The box on the scale contains 50 empty plastic wrappers.
Attachments
DSC03257.JPG
DSC03257.JPG (54.02 KiB) Viewed 623 times
DSC03255.JPG
DSC03255.JPG (35.37 KiB) Viewed 624 times
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:20 am

Good datapoint. This really should all be collected and put into a single sticky.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby baggerman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:06 pm

These are the boxes that I am trying to identify who they come from.
rsz_100_2317.jpg
rsz_100_2317.jpg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 593 times
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Not sure on the top one. The bottom is Loomis, I believe.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:38 pm

#3 - Plain brown West Coast at WF is usually Loomis. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby DEKAN » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Top box is a generic box folded up by any bank. Bottom box is Loomis here in Fl.
DEKAN

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:04 pm

I am down in Medford Oregon an we get are $50 bags from Umpqua Bank and they told me that the get there bags from Wells Fargo and Wells Fargo wraps there own for themselves and other banks in the northwest. Umpqua sell there bags off the counters to Wells Fargo. So do the three bags I got today from Umpqua Bank match your Wells Fargo bags. If Wells Fargo rolls with coins from Oregon they show be high in CU. We down here have over 11% unemployment and Oregon in #1 in the US for food stamps. Most of Franklins 11 IH this year came from Umpqua Bank roll bags.
henrysmedford - (11) - 1883(1), 1886(1), 1891(1), 1895(1), 1898(1), 1906(1), 1907(3), NO-DATE(2),

Also we got 100% CU on some CRW Rolls today. All coins from the 70s.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:52 pm

My loomis penny boxes and rolls changed in the last few months, Loomis finally got their own penny wrappers that say Loomis on them, and the boxes say SFI on the bottom and don't have the holes on top anymore. The old loomis wrappers looked just like the white ones on the picture above without the loomis name on them.
Edit: The loomis papers are really thin, they break open on the first try. I just checked the old ones I was getting and they are the NF String, and so where the boxes. I Figured they were loomis because the halves I was getting were from them.
Last edited by everything on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:59 pm

everything wrote:My loomis penny boxes and rolls changed in the last few months, Loomis finally got their own penny wrappers that say Loomis on them, and the boxes say SFI on the bottom and don't have the holes on top anymore. The old loomis wrappers looked just like the white ones on the picture above without the loomis name on them.

The white ones on the picture above are old CRW rolls. :mrgreen: Not bank rolls AKA shotgun rolls. :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:31 am

Ops, I did not look at those close, being all CU guess I was not thinking either. I've been thinking about what banks to join to get better coins, questions like who, why, etc. I like searching for silver to. I was think maybe I should just join the bank I think I should and start getting boxes from them, see what happens. The big banks seem more approachable and reliable than the community banks. I know one community bank who would sell me pennies without even an account, also the same place I cleaned their display case out of silver when it shot up earlier this year cause they never changed the prices. I'd like to just join the community banks, see what they got, then move on again if I have to.

How large is Umpqua, because I'm looking at 4-6 branch units myself, figuring I just tell the tellers at the main branch what to look for and what I want, etc. I know the community bank might be more willing to take in CWR vs. my CU dump makes people break them open and run through the counter, but maybe some larger banks will too. I'm not sure..
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:43 am

My suggestion would be to try several different approaches throughout your area. One of your plans will likely take root. Trust me, it is just trial and error. When you have an error on this stuff, you know it. Best of luck to you! Twenty
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:02 pm

I just started another bank account as it puts you in better standing vs. being some joker off the street. I ended up with brandt, inc. half dollar wrappers, made in my home state, and seal strong penny wrappers. They wrap their own coins, and will not take in CWR as the exchange rate for Canadian is more than the coin is worth according to bank policy. Thanks for the info Twenty, I'm getting it!
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:15 am

henrysmedford wrote:

I am down in Medford Oregon an we get are $50 bags from Umpqua Bank and they told me that the get there bags from Wells Fargo and Wells Fargo wraps there own for themselves and other banks in the northwest. Umpqua sell there bags off the counters to Wells Fargo. So do the three bags I got today from Umpqua Bank match your Wells Fargo bags. If Wells Fargo rolls with coins from Oregon they show be high in CU. We down here have over 11% unemployment and Oregon in #1 in the US for food stamps. Most of Franklins 11 IH this year came from Umpqua Bank roll bags.
henrysmedford - (11) - 1883(1), 1886(1), 1891(1), 1895(1), 1898(1), 1906(1), 1907(3), NO-DATE(2),

Well does not wrap any coin in Oregon! They buy them all from an armored.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:19 pm

highroller4321 wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:

Well does not wrap any coin in Oregon! They buy them all from an armored.

I found out when the tellers said that the coin was from Wells Fargo they were using the name of it be for it was part of Loomis seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loomis_%28company%29 so Umpqua gets them from Loomis.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby baggerman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 am

All of a sudden all of my rolls are coming from loomis no matter what box they come in.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing