First CHU done

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

First CHU done

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:33 am

Loaded up the latest bags into storage, did a recount, and realized I had skipped some bags in the previous inventory when they were in different places (now all in one place).

So somewhere along the line, within the past several months, I passed a major milestone.

I now have well more than 1.0 CHU (Copper Hoard Unit). >1 US ton. (Actually more than 1 metric tonne also.)

This is in large part due to RC purchases from several people over the months (thanks Beauanderos, NDFarmer, Economist, CUBaker, Spikeanator6982, JJM, Copper Member) - I think no more than half of this is from my own sorting.

I started this about a year ago, with casual hand sorting, found this site, lurked for a month, then joined up. It accelerated from hand-sorting into trying to mechanize, finally acquiring a Ryedale, and realizing that mixing some forum purchasing at time with sorting made some "cents".

Thanks all!

In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: First CHU done

Postby fasteddy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:17 am

Great for you. Do you do any other sorting of the cents ..ie removing the wheats or AU's? I sould do the same organize and consolidate.

Keep it up and it does make "cents", "real cents".
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:30 am

Nice job Rich.
Are you still buying now trat you have a rye or just sorting now exclusively?
If you didn't get my pm, your package was shipped yesterday as well.
D
misteroman

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:36 am

Rich, Welcome to the CHU club. Couldn't have a better guy join the ranks.

Conga-Rats!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:37 am

fasteddy wrote:Great for you. Do you do any other sorting of the cents ..ie removing the wheats or AU's? I sould do the same organize and consolidate.

Keep it up and it does make "cents", "real cents".

Nothing formal, usually. Sometimes if I have time (not enough of that) I'll do a formal sort for wheats/AU/CDN, but not often. I do watch for them and pull them (as well as ugly Abes) in the middle of sorting/counting/bagging when they fly by, so I do have piles of wheats, canadians. But many escape me, I'm sure. The uglies I used to try to clean, not any more - too much trouble - after I realized the verdigris is contagious - and I don't like them mixing with the cleaner coins - I now just put them back in the dumps. I look harder for the uglies than the others now, in order to keep them out.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:48 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Rich, Welcome to the CHU club. Couldn't have a better guy join the ranks.

Conga-Rats!

Thanks Doc
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:49 am

misteroman wrote:Nice job Rich.
Are you still buying now trat you have a rye or just sorting now exclusively?
If you didn't get my pm, your package was shipped yesterday as well.
D

Thanks misteroman - got your PM and just replied.
68Camaro

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:43 pm

Welcome to the 1 Ton Club Rich! You know 1 ton generally leads to another. I noticed CU from the Hoard was conspicuously absent from that first CHU. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:40 pm

How many 5 gallon buckets full would a CHU be?
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:46 pm

henrysmedford wrote:How many 5 gallon buckets full would a CHU be?

about 11 or 12 :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:04 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Welcome to the 1 Ton Club Rich! You know 1 ton generally leads to another. I noticed CU from the Hoard was conspicuously absent from that first CHU. :mrgreen:

Well, I do tend to be a bottom feeder... No disrepect to anyone at all!
68Camaro

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:53 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:How many 5 gallon buckets full would a CHU be?

about 11 or 12 :mrgreen:

Thanks 68Camaro for your post it made me think were we are. If HoardCopperByTheTon is right we are about there just counted 11.75 5 gallon buckets. :mrgreen:
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Congrats on the milestone!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:56 am

Congrats on the hoard. Now that is a milestone! :)

Not to get all technical. :geek: But is that a ton based on total weight or based on copper weight? Considering that cents are 95% CU.

As a follow up question, what is the face value of a ton? :ugeek:
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:29 am

exbingoaddict wrote:Congrats on the hoard. Now that is a milestone! :)

Not to get all technical. :geek: But is that a ton based on total weight or based on copper weight? Considering that cents are 95% CU.

As a follow up question, what is the face value of a ton? :ugeek:

Well, I've passed a ton by any measure, whether lightest measure of US ton in the alloy or heaviest measure of metric ton in CU content only.

Face value... the calc for a US ton of alloyed cents would be as follows, assuming minimum wear, not including any packaging:

2000 lbs x 453.6 g/lb / 3.11 g/cent = 291704 cents = $2917.04

That's fifty-eight $50 bags, and some change.
68Camaro

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:23 pm

68Camaro wrote:Well, I've passed a ton by any measure, whether lightest measure of US ton in the alloy or heaviest measure of metric ton in CU content only.

By any measure it's a feat worth writing home about. Good show 68.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Later » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:33 am

congrats. im half way there @35 gallons
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby knibloe » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:02 am

Congrats on the milestone.

I was counting my hoard the other day and realized that I have passed the ton mark as well. My hoard is a little less formal. I keep it in old juice jars. I figured the other day that I have 60 gallons of pennies which would be just over a ton. Took me almost three years. I would like to have at least 2 tons stored and then keep sorting, but anthing that I sort after that would be sold and used to purchase silver. Once I hit my silver goal, I will switch to building a stash of gold.

My original goal was to do it all of this in 5 years. It looks like it will take 5 years to collect the pennies. I hope that it is not too late by then.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:44 am

Welcome to the club. 10 ton club is next :D
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:23 am

if $100 FV weighs 68 lbs, then a standard 2,000 lb ton would require $2,941 face value if I calculate correctly.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:28 am

68Camaro wrote:That's fifty-eight $50 bags, and some change.

"Some change" is right! :lol: Congrats on the ton! I can still lift my cu "hoard" but just barely. I might never make a ton, but at least I'll have some.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twoten01 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:46 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:if $100 FV weighs 68 lbs, then a standard 2,000 lb ton would require $2,941 face value if I calculate correctly.

Well according to Coinflation, $100 FV is only 65.1356 lbs Cu the rest is Zn. So it would be $3,071 FV, but that is if every Cu penny weighed in at exactly 3.11 grams, which is not the case.
Too many variables without actually weighing them, and I know I am not even half of the way there yet, and I am not moving mine to weigh. I figure once I have $3,100 then I know for sure I have 1 ton
twoten01
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:38 pm

Is it generally accepted that once you hit one (1) ton then you have an "offical" hoard on your hands?
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Sounds like a hoard to me!! :)
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing