broke the coinstar last night!!!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

broke the coinstar last night!!!

Postby misteroman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Typed this earlier and hit submit and deleted it :evil: here's the short version :lol:
Went there with approx $500 in Zinc last night to give back. After about $375 machine froze. Long story short I get a voucher now for cash and Coinstar has to send me a check for the 9.8% fees. Was on the phone with them this morning and he said it looks like a sensor went down. Trying to get $2000 back this week so I can grab 2 60" LED tv's :mrgreen: Probably will sell one and keep one. They are half price + free shipping
D
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: broke the coinstar last night!!!

Postby natsb88 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:26 pm

I think you should just walk into Best Buy on Black Friday with 40 bags of zinc :lol: And make sure you get their reaction on tape :D

Nah I'm with you. Any shopping I do this weekend will be from my office chair. The online deals are just as good or better than anything in the stores, and a heck of a lot easier. I need to pick up some wire, pipe fittings, and insulation, but no way I'm venturing anywhere near a store tomorrow...
natsb88

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:39 pm

Do those coinstar machines fill up? If it's at a WalMart, do you then have to deal with WalMart customer service to change a bag? I have never used a coinstar and I was curious as to how it works. I would hate to be stuck in WalMart for an hour just to dump $150 in zincs.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rickygee » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Walmart employees do not service Coinstar machines. You may be stuck there, but it won't be Walmart's fault.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:37 pm

NHsorter wrote:Do those coinstar machines fill up? If it's at a WalMart, do you then have to deal with WalMart customer service to change a bag? I have never used a coinstar and I was curious as to how it works. I would hate to be stuck in WalMart for an hour just to dump $150 in zincs.

They get full and than the machine goes down. No one can get into the machines except the coinstar people and the people who pick up the bins.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby misteroman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:05 pm

Adam,
At the grocery store I have went to a fewtimes on the way home from the pizzeria they say it jams all the time and they have to open it up and fix it. But I guess the over night ppl don't have access to it or the codes. Not sure if that's true or not. Last week I brought them a pizza and itwas like I paid off their home
misteroman

Postby everything » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:55 pm

How do you get stuck having to go to a coinstar machine? Can't you put 5 bucks in a savings account at some bank or Credit Union and dump there, I guess I've heard of areas where the banks don't have coin machines.. One of my CU's has a really slow sorter, with a dump tray like a coinstar, so they have three different kinds of machines total.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:14 pm

^^^ not one bank in my area has one or not one I've found. There is probably 100 banks in a 20 mile radius too much is sad
misteroman

Postby mishra142 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:41 am

According to the coinstar website, they now offer kroger gift cards in the houston area and its coming soon to other kroger coinstars. I figure it would be an easy way to dump some zincs and get gift cards to pay for gas/groceries with no fee.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:49 pm

I guess that using the coinstar isn't bad if you can get gift cards. I got a gift card for Lowes once and lost the darn thing.

I won't do it again unless I am headed across the street to Lowes after dumping.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby baggerman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:16 am

If I could get gift cards for something like gas/groceries I would use a coinstar as this would save me from driving all over the place. On the plus side I have now found enough coin machines that I no longer need to reroll the zincs.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:51 am

I'll be watching for the Kroger gift card here. I've found my dump spot when that is available. Like some others, there are no lobby machines in my area.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:28 pm

coinstar in my area offers amazon giftcards(not actually a card, just the code)I buy there a lot, so it makes sense. I live ni rochester NY and no coin sorting machines around...
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing