Interesting Conversation with Teller

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Interesting Conversation with Teller

Postby 1945v » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:37 pm

I was picking a load of pennies and nickels from my local bank & the teller (a 25 yr old girl) asked what I was doing with them ? I told her I was looking for old dates and she mentioned when she is rolling them up she grabs all the old dates from all coins.

At first I thought I just picked a load of coins for nothing. But when I got home I found a nice 10% yield of pure nickel and 50% yields of pure copper. I suspect she is aware of which dates contain silver, but has not caught onto nickel and copper coins being worth more than face value.

In Canada, it bad enough competing with the government and other hoarders. Now the young tellers are starting to catch on. The old tellers still think all silver is completely gone from bank rolls, but are not aware of the occasional heirs than cash in their dead relatives hoards.
1945v
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Interesting Conversation with Teller

Postby Chaboo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:45 pm

I'm sorry for the competition, but it's good to see her doing that - it's a start. Lucky her, I'd be in heaven sitting back there. :D
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby goldteam » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:08 pm

was this 25 year old somewhat nice looking with some nice bongos

if so, she is my dream girl with this other information
goldteam

Postby twentybux » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Hang in there. Not all the tellers have caught on. Went into a bank a few days back to see if they had any halves. Teller said she had only one. I bought it from her. It was a '67 JFK. ;)
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby robroy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:15 pm

When I was picking up a load of pennies awhile ago one of the young tellers was telling me where I could go to melt down my pennies. When I mentioned that melting down pennies was illegal and people could go to jail she got real worried. She asked what I collect and I said "all of 'em". When she gave me some Eisenhower dollars she asked what I do with them. Told her that when I play poker for money I use them a chips sort of like Bart and Bret Maverick did. She smiled and said that she didn't think she knew the brothers, but would save them for me when she got some more. (Not a clue).

At another bank, where I dump, I was asked what I collect and wanted to know if I just was looking for wheat pennies or what. Because they have other customers who cash in pennies but they only look for wheat pennies and was interested in knowing if I would be interested in getting boxes of those to look through. I politely told her that I was in a hurry as my wife was waiting for me in the car.
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:46 pm

You never know at one of the banks we go to the teller has a Red Book next to his computer so you would think you would have no chance of getting anything good out of him. One day he sold US $20 of CRW and we got eleven rolls of solid wheats. :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:07 pm

henrysmedford wrote:You never know at one of the banks we go to the teller has a Red Book next to his computer so you would think you would have no chance of getting anything good out of him. One day he sold US $20 of CRW and we got eleven rolls of solid wheats. :D

Sweeeeeeeet! Shhhhhhhhhhh...let the teller keep the book with him but just don't hint for him to open it up anytime soon. ;)
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:12 pm

i went into a local branch bank that i had not been to before. Close to the house, but just not gone in there before. I ask the tellers for some big coin lock bags and that i was looking for "big dollars" or half dollars....one teller says i have some half dollars...she opens her drawer and in the tray her halves are separated by metal....Copper clads and silver...she says How many do you want and these are silver, pointing to the silver halves. It seemed she was a little excited to say the word silver. I ask how much for all of the halves she said they were fifty cents apiece....I bought all 'em of course...8 40%'ers and 6 clads...I have gone back of course but no halves since them.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 pm

fasteddy wrote:i went into a local branch bank that i had not been to before. Close to the house, but just not gone in there before. I ask the tellers for some big coin lock bags and that i was looking for "big dollars" or half dollars....one teller says i have some half dollars...she opens her drawer and in the tray her halves are separated by metal....Copper clads and silver...she says How many do you want and these are silver, pointing to the silver halves. It seemed she was a little excited to say the word silver. I ask how much for all of the halves she said they were fifty cents apiece....I bought all 'em of course...8 40%'ers and 6 clads...I have gone back of course but no halves since them.

Nice pick up. Talk about customer service!!! She already had the silver separated for you. She truly deserves some chocolate. :D

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm careful about going to the banks. I tell them straight up I'm a roll searcher, but not for what, they think they know anyways, so why tell. For instance, this new bank I'm going to, the main teller said they make the customers unwrap all coins, so basically the tellers get to search and get their tips right on the job. Sometimes you just have to feel them out, and like the experienced here say, learn how to tip them yourself. At this bank, I need to tip them and just say I'll take whatever is in that CWR, buy them and give them to me. IF you want to search them first go ahead but I'll still take them afterward. Now my other pick up bank, I've been with those guys long enough maybe they'll just sell me a whole bag, I'm going to ask soon and see what they say. The reason to ask is maybe they are tired of ordering boxes for me all the time. First I'm going to ask somebody below management, how much do you think I need to put in my savings to convince someone to let me do that?, or along those lines.

I wish the melt ban would be adjusted because I would definitely buy at least some novelty bars or new coins with copper made with melted pennies! That's just one of my mint ideas, not a very good one..
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing