ATB circulating quarters

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

ATB circulating quarters

Postby robroy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:29 am

Just wondering if anyone has seen the ATB quarters in circulation. They've been in circulation for 3 years now, and I haven't seen any? Are they going to be as scarce as the 2009 circulating pennies, nickles and dimes? I'm starting a album set and would like to find some from the wild and not rely upon the mint sets.

Sould I be relying on the mint sets to fill up my album? Any pro or cons that a newbie should know about in doing this?
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: ATB circulating quarters

Postby jasmatk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:48 pm

I get them in change once in a while.Get friendlly with your tellers and let them know you want the ATB quarters.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:29 pm

I have found a few in circulation. I bought 5 rolls last week and got 2 ATBs. Also 1 bicentennial.

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby robroy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:01 am

I was at the bank this afternoon and asked the teller about these quarters and she responded that she didn't know what I was talking about.

This whole thing started out of curiosity and is becoming a mission. I wonder if these are going to end up like the 2009 pennies, nickles, and dimes. I hardly see these also. I quess that they are all sitting at the FRB vaults waiting for their turn in the limelight. :lol:

robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Silver Addict » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:09 am

I've only have gotten one in change that I noticed.

I seem to see plenty of 2009 pennies though.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 am

Also from USA Today --http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2010-10-07-quarter07_ST_N.htm

National park quarters hard to find; blame the slow economy

By Sandra Block, USA TODAY
When the Arizona state quarter was issued two years ago, Carolina Butler of Scottsdale, Ariz., gave rolls of the quarters to her children, grandchildren — even her plumber.

So Butler was delighted to learn that Congress had authorized the U.S. Mint to issue coins honoring 56 national parks, including the Grand Canyon. "A roll of quarters costs $10," she says. "They make the best gifts."

Since April, the Mint has introduced quarters commemorating Hot Springs, Yellowstone, Yosemite and Grand Canyon national parks. But while the Grand Canyon quarter was released last month, Butler has been unable to find a single Grand Canyon coin. Her bank, Wells Fargo, told her it hasn't received any of the quarters. It seems the economic downturn is to blame.

GET MORE INFO: Buy quarters, see upcoming coins and release dates

During recessions, cash-strapped consumers raid their piggy banks and other sources of loose change, says Beth Deisher, editor of Coin World magazine. That puts more old quarters into the system, reducing demand for new ones.

That certainly appears to be what's happening now. As of August, the Federal Reserve had 3.2 billion quarters in inventory, which is sufficient to meet estimated demand for the next four years. "The Fed is holding a whole lot of inventory, and banks aren't demanding it," says Mint spokesman Michael White.

By contrast, the 50 State Quarters Program, which lasted from 1999 through 2008, was a huge numismatic success. By the end of the program, an estimated 147 million people had collected state quarters, says Mint spokesman Gordon Hume.

The dearth of national park quarters is "very frustrating, especially for collectors, because they can't get the coins at their local bank," Deisher says. "It's really a shame because the whole idea is a circulating commemorative that you could get at face value."

Collectors who don't want to wait until the Fed reduces its inventory can buy national park quarters from the Mint, but they'll have to pay more than face value. A two-roll set of 80 Grand Canyon National Park quarters costs $32.95, according to the Mint's website.

That's more than Butler is willing to pay. "I'm not a collector," she says. "I'm just a grandma."

And here is are album--
Franklin has them :D P&D that is!
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby doug » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:22 pm

I find them in rolls all of the time.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby robroy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm using the Dansco 8146 album for my ATB circulating quarters. This album has spaces for uncirculated and proof S mint also.

It was nice to see the Franklin album. Actually this was the first Franklin Album that I have seen and was unaware of the brand until now. It looks like a dandy album.

The reason that I started this thread is that the only place that I can find circulating coins is at the mint and was getting frustrated at my utter lack of finding these coins any place else.

robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jasmatk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:27 pm

franklin is his son,not the brand name
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby robroy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:03 pm

jasmatk wrote:franklin is his son,not the brand name

Sorry about that. :oops: I was admiring the album pages that he showed and even went on line to see if I could find the album. I figured that I'd get the album for my son. Couldn't find an album whose pages looked like those.

robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:25 pm

robroy wrote:
jasmatk wrote:franklin is his son,not the brand name

Sorry about that. :oops: I was admiring the album pages that he showed and even went on line to see if I could find the album. I figured that I'd get the album for my son. Couldn't find an album whose pages looked like those.

I t is a Dansco 7145 http://www.danscoalbumstore.com/national-park-quarters-dansco-album-7145-p-8662.html

Joe
Franklin's Dad
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm finding a disproportionate number of these quarters in Canada.

The last bundle of Canadian quarters I found four, which is usually just about the number of normal circulating US quarters I find in a bundle.

Methinks its a conspiracy, advertising for the US parks.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby robroy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:11 pm

ZenOps wrote:I'm finding a disproportionate number of these quarters in Canada.

The last bundle of Canadian quarters I found four, which is usually just about the number of normal circulating US quarters I find in a bundle.

Methinks its a conspiracy, advertising for the US parks.

So you'll be coming for a visit? Where and when? :D :lol:

robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins