Nickel hoard

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Re: Nickel hoard

Postby JobIII » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:35 am

tractorman wrote:Its an investment in nickel and copper with absolutely no risk of losing money. The metal prices could go up [or down], but the nickels will always be worth 5 cents each face value.

I worry that putting a lot of money into nickels puts you at risk of losing out to inflation, given the basic return may not be as dramatic as silver and copper coins. Thoughts?
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 am

Also I found this gem from the past:

Posted - 09/01/2009 : 16:45:21
Like I said before, I have $9,000 in 5 cents bricks plus all the coins for the past 32 years which probably includes another $3,000 in nickels.

My question is, would I be wasting my time chenking them out for anything of value?

When I first change my first $1,000 for ten bricks of nickels I did open two rolls and found 6 foreign coins in them.......the rest of the bricks are still virgin.
"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"...Ponce
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelless » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:25 pm

JobIII wrote:
tractorman wrote:Its an investment in nickel and copper with absolutely no risk of losing money. The metal prices could go up [or down], but the nickels will always be worth 5 cents each face value.

I worry that putting a lot of money into nickels puts you at risk of losing out to inflation, given the basic return may not be as dramatic as silver and copper coins. Thoughts?

Well, you wouldn't necessarily get the same return as silver, IMO, but all nickels minted since 1946 are 75 percent copper, so you would in fact have substantial copper content, although not as high as pre-1982 pennies. The only inflation worry you'd have would be if you held onto FRNs instead of cashing them out for coins--since obviously coins are metal and have intrinsic value. I say buy all the nickels you can get if you're already squared away on silver so at least you'll be able to make change for smaller transactions post-crash that you wouldn't necessarily want to use silver for, sort of like wanting to buy a pack of gum but finding that nobody has change for a $100 bill.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby slvrbck » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 pm

I always hear the "ohh. . . you'll lose out to inflation" criticism on nickels and pennies. Seems to me that if I was 100% invested in nickels and pennies I would be praying for inflation. Cant really think of anything that appreciates quicker with inflation than base commodities (copper, oil, food).
I am going to hold onto cash regardless. . . it is in my nature, as I do not trust too many institutions in this great nation. When I was younger I hid stacks of bills. Now I hide buckets of coins.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby ZenOps » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:09 am

I see nickels as protection against both inflation and deflation. The depression of the 30's was arguably a deflationary death spiral.

In a disaster scenario: If you should happen to change your mind at any point in time about what metal you want to be invested in, you can much easier trade up your nickels for say silver. IE: Back before 1933 you could trade a 10 roll bundle of nickels fairly easily for a near ounce gold double eagle, much much easier than trying to convert paper bills into gold. I can imagine it would be fairly easy to exchange a bundle of nickel for a silver ounce or two (or more) at todays exchange rates. Back in 1960's noone thought twice about exchanging five 25% nickels for one silver quarter.

Because noone is going to sell you silver for a $20 cotton FRN, but will probably take a bundle of nickels.

If Nickel hits $23 again, a ten roll bundle of pure Canadian nickels will worth $90 or so - of which I may or may not be willing to trade for three ounces of silver. But hand me a $100 bill - and you get neither.

If the powers that be decide to raise interest rates back up to 18% and put the pain on borrowers, just cash your nickels back in at face.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby Z00 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:31 am

I can see it now.
The price of copper and nickel double.
The govt. doesn't lift the melt ban.
Someone parks a factory ship with smelters out past the 12 mile limit.
You know someone,who knows someone.......
Cigarette boats are running pennies and nickels out to the ships and running bars of copper and nickel back in
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Nickelless » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:21 am

Z00 wrote:I can see it now.
The price of copper and nickel double.
The govt. doesn't lift the melt ban.
Someone parks a factory ship with smelters out past the 12 mile limit.
You know someone,who knows someone.......
Cigarette boats are running pennies and nickels out to the ships and running bars of copper and nickel back in

As noted throughout this board, it makes no sense to melt coins down for their metal because then the metal has to be assayed to determine its content. With the coins still intact, you know exactly what you have--just like with pre-1965 silver coins that just about everyone knows are 90 percent silver just by looking at the date and the coin. I can't see people melting the coins after the melt ban is dropped because of that.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby nero12345 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:59 am

The other thing is its relatively easy where all the nickels have the same composition, basically. Once you get them from the bank you don't even have to sort them, pennies you do. I would say they probably do both.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:30 am

i have a few boxes that i don't intend to open. i view it as having cash outside the system that realistically a crook is going to have a hard time running away with unless he brings a cart. potential upside in copper prices and numi. I need to remember to write the dates on the boxes.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtldealer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:40 pm

At this point I have too many nickels, I wonder how much could fit in a medium flat rate box? :-) If anyone wants nickels shipped to them let me know.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby cupronickel » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:06 am

I agree with Nickelless, it would make no sense to melt them down. They're worth more in the coin form. That is why I don't understand why junk silver coins sell for below spot. I guess you just keep on buying what you can, (copper pennies, nickels, junk silver, bullion) for as much under spot as you can. I'm guessing that eventually they all move closer to their spot price.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Elcid69 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm looking for some 1943 nickels to fill a collection - can someone tell me what they are selling for now? Thanks, need about a roll
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins