How many rolls can fit in a USPS Large Flat-rate box?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

How many rolls can fit in a USPS Large Flat-rate box?

Postby mitsuki3 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:19 am

Hi guys. I was wondering how many nickel, dime, and quarter rolls can fit in a usps flat-rate shipping box? I think 200 penny rolls will fit, but I could be wrong, so I would appreciate it if you let me know if I am. The reason I am asking this is because I want to wait until I have a whole large flat-rate box of coins before selling. Thanx!

P.S. I would also appreciate it if you could tell me how many rolls of halves and dollar coins would fit.
I'm selling coins at:
http://Mryanksfan16.blujay.com
mitsuki3

Re: How many rolls can fit in a USPS Large Flat-rate box?

Postby Country » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44 am

Go to the bank and get some rolls yourself. Get a large flat rate box and see what fits. I'm sure you could do that.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby ZenOps » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:24 am

Hehe. Don't count your chickens before they have hatched.

Coins are not an unlimited resource that the banks magically produce. Its becoming quite a bit harder to find copper pennies and nickels now. Most higher volume banks will have limits on how much raw poundage of coins you can withdraw if you are not using a commercial bank account. As a Canadian, we are legally only allowed to transport $100 or less worth of US pennies and nickels across the border.

I try to keep things under one box per day, but some banks near me are at two bundles per day, some are two boxes, and some will give you near every penny they have if you ask.

My local coin shop, one of two authorized Canada mint dealers in the city - has an enforcable limit of converting $3,000 worth of paper into silver or gold each day. It makes sense, as the US could technically print up or electronically create $600B in the first "second" and attempt to buy every physical bar of metal that Canada has in the second "second".

50 cent pieces are incredibly rare in Canada, I can go an entire year through several banks every day - and only get a handful of them.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby twentybux » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:44 am

Country wrote:Go to the bank and get some rolls yourself. Get a large flat rate box and see what fits. I'm sure you could do that.

+1 Depends on how well you "insulate" your package from external forces (USPS workers,etc.). Trial and error. Grab some rolls and experiment.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 pm

stick with the medium flat rate

you can fit more rolls in a large flat rate of course but you'll be over the weight limit....

and i'd be terrified to ship a full flat rate of halves or dollars - WAY to much $$ to lose
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

MITSUKI, you're asking better questions. GOOD! I've mentioned to you before about a CTU - Copper Trade Unit - which is $100 face value of copper cents. It fits in a MEDIUM flat rate box. As stated above, you could fit more in a LARGE flat rate box, but there is a 70 pound limit on shipping any of these flat rate boxes. $100 face value is pretty close to 68 pounds, then add the weight of the box and other packaging and you're within a few ounces of that limit.

Look around the site, as has already been suggested, and you should be able to find several threads about CTU's. About how to package them well, about how to utilize small flat rate boxes inside them to double-reinforce them, etc etc.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:47 pm

ZenOps wrote: As a Canadian, we are legally only allowed to transport $100 or less worth of US pennies and nickels across the border.

From the US into Canada or Canada to The US. I think you can take up to 10K of any type of cash out of Canada with out paper work. But not one can take over $5.00 US run of the mill US pennies and nickels across the border.

From post http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6567&hilit=+border#p62783
So I Emailed Canada Border Services Agency this--
Transporting Canadian coins out of Canada
I live in the US and my son who has autism like to collect coins he has a Canadian set started. I asked a friend if he could buy me some rolls of coins the next time he is a Canada and bring them back. He is worry that it might be not lawful to do so as it is unlawful to take more than $5 US dollars of US 1 cent and 5 cent out. See -- http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.c ... ase&ID=724. The fines on the US side can be stiff " of not more than $10,000, or imprisonment of not more than five years, or both, against a person who knowingly violates the regulations. In addition, by law, any coins exported, melted, or treated in violation of the regulation shall be forfeited to the United States Government".
So is it the same way taking coins out of Canada.

Thanks
Joe Henry

And From http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6567&hilit=+border#p62938
RE: Transporting Canadian coins out of Canada **8553**
X
CBSA-ASFC_CONTACT to jkft
show details 1:08 PM (7 hours ago)
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) appreciates your interest in ensuring that you meet the Cross Border Currency Reporting requirements upon exiting Canada. As you may be aware, the CBSA is responsible for the administration and enforcement of Part II of the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act. Part II requires the reporting of currency or monetary instruments in the actual possession of a person arriving in or departing from Canada. Each traveller is responsible for his or her own declaration.

There are no restrictions on the amount of currency or monetary instruments that you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so. However, you have to report to the CBSA amounts equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 or its equivalent in foreign currency. If you require further information on the CBSA’s Cross Border Currency Reporting Program, please visit our Web site at
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-sec ... u-eng.html

For information regarding the importation of coins into the United States, we suggest that you contact U.S. Customs and Border Protection for assistance with this matter at http://www.cbp.gov ,
or 1-703-526-4200.

We trust that this information is useful to you. Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

And from http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/?action=press_release&ID=724
The regulations also prohibit the unlicensed exportation of these coins, except that travelers may take up to $5 in these coins out of the country, and individuals may ship up to $100 in these coins out of the country in any one shipment for legitimate coinage and numismatic purposes.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins