What are you paying for Nickles

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

What are you paying for Nickles

Postby thedrifter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:04 pm

What are people on this forum paying for:
V Nickles
Dateless Buffalos
Buffalos with dates
1938-1939 Nickles
1940's Nickles (No silver)
1950's Nickles
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Re: What are you paying for Nickles

Postby snappy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 am

V Nickles the only ones I have gotten have been from MD so free
Dateless Buffalos often get for $0.05
Buffalos with dates often get for $0.05
1938-1939 Nickles $0.05
1940's Nickles (No silver) $0.05 silver included
1950's Nickles $0.05
snappy
Penny Collector Member

Postby galenrog » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:00 am

I do not pay for nicks. I do sell locally. When I sort, I divide to the following stacks: 1950-1959, 1938-1949, War, Buffs, Libs. These go into flat paper rolls as I find enough to fill one. My sale prices locally are '50s: $5/roll; '38-'49: $7/roll; Buffs:$15/roll; Lib (V): $40/roll. The sale price of War Nicks varies with the silver market.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby JobIII » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:34 pm

snappy wrote:V Nickles the only ones I have gotten have been from MD so free
Dateless Buffalos often get for $0.05
Buffalos with dates often get for $0.05
1938-1939 Nickles $0.05
1940's Nickles (No silver) $0.05 silver included
1950's Nickles $0.05

Yes, this would be the smart *** roll hunting response :roll:

I don't really go out of my way to buy nickels. They usually are included in some sale, where I have to buy them along with the items of interest.

If they are in decent shape I would probably start around 2x face for 1938 - 1959, and face value for 1960 to present. Keep in mind, there are only a handful of key dates between 1938 and 1960, the rest are not all that rare or expensive in circulated condition.

Silver nickels again I don't really have a lot of experience on these so some fraction of the melt value. Perhaps start off asking for half the value of melt (depending on the grade) and work my way up.

Buff's and V nickels vary greatly depending on the quality, low quality I'd probably start around 2 or 3 times face value. Better quality examples I would just start somewhat higher.

If you feel like you can grade a coin. You should consider reviewing price guides like http://www.numismedia.com, where they list a high fair value of coins. I use these as a guide when buying coins. The listed value is the higher side of what you could get, so you can offer some lesser amount. It all depends on if you buying in bulk or a couple at a time.

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:52 pm

galenrog wrote:I do not pay for nicks. I do sell locally. When I sort, I divide to the following stacks: 1950-1959, 1938-1949, War, Buffs, Libs. These go into flat paper rolls as I find enough to fill one. My sale prices locally are '50s: $5/roll; '38-'49: $7/roll; Buffs:$15/roll; Lib (V): $40/roll. The sale price of War Nicks varies with the silver market.

That's about what I think. I'll be seperating my buckets this summer to sell off and that is about what I had in mind.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby newton7 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:49 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:
galenrog wrote:I do not pay for nicks. I do sell locally. When I sort, I divide to the following stacks: 1950-1959, 1938-1949, War, Buffs, Libs. These go into flat paper rolls as I find enough to fill one. My sale prices locally are '50s: $5/roll; '38-'49: $7/roll; Buffs:$15/roll; Lib (V): $40/roll. The sale price of War Nicks varies with the silver market.

That's about what I think. I'll be seperating my buckets this summer to sell off and that is about what I had in mind.

Question.

Are you a LCS or do you have other places to sell nickels? I just keep stacking for now and buy when they are available but if there was a market for the sorted stuff via the internet or other I might add this to my hobby.

Thanks, newton7
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:50 am

I buy buffalo's and v's with full dates for 50 cents a piece when I can find them.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins