First Buffalo in the Wild!

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

First Buffalo in the Wild!

Postby DuckTales253 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:52 am

I found my first buffalo nickel in the wild yesterday while going through just five rolls of nickels! Unfortunately it was dateless, but it was still cool to see such an old coin lying there in the pile!

This was kind of ironic, because I have a few other dateless buffalo nickels and was having trouble selling them on eBay, even at face value. I considered sticking them back into circulation just for kicks, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe somebody else had the same idea?
Last edited by DuckTales253 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Re: First Buffalo in the Wild!

Postby Rob72830 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Congrats of finding that first one. I have a suggestion. On ebay you can buy a solution that will restore dates to Buffalo nickles. If I had dateless ones I would try it. I have heard of people doing this and finding they have coins that are valuable or at least worth more than five cents, which is what a dateless buffalo is basically worth. Even if they aren't worth much, they could still be hole fillers. Good luck.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John Reich » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:50 am

Congratulations! It's this sort of thing that makes sorting so much fun. You always want to see what you're going to find in the next roll!
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dano » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:58 am

It is called Nik-A-Date (about 5.00 per bottle and a little goes along way). It is a ferric chloride solution, and it is amazing. I have semi-key buffalos and even brought back mint marks where one could not be seen before. It is obvious after use, that you used a chemical, but to me this is not alteration, because the date was always there.
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins