Steel Nickel Prediction

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Steel Nickel Prediction

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:19 am

James Wesley, Rawles of survivalblog.com fame just said:
FWIW, I predict that the U.S. Mint will follow Canada's lead and will begin minting stainless steel "nickels" in 2013. So here in the U.S., our window of opportunity to salt away rolls of real nickels without any sorting will soon close. Stack them deep, folks!

Full article:
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/letter-re-advice-on-canadian-nickels.html

Agree? Does it make you happy or do you feel like he just peed in your cornflakes?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Steel Nickel Prediction

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:44 am

I agree. I believe 5,10,25,50c coins will be steel in 2013 and the penny will be eliminated.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby creshka46 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:01 am

RichardPenny43 wrote:I agree. I believe 5,10,25,50c coins will be steel in 2013 and the penny will be eliminated.

I would bet on the first part, but I still think the penny will hang on for a few more years.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Tell me why again you want to hold on to nickels?

Nickels: Total Face Value: $10.00 Total melt value is $9.78. :roll:

95% Copper Pennies: Total Face Value: $10.00 Total melt value is $22.44. :D

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/basemetal_calc.php
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ZenOps » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Canada stopped making 99.9% nickel content dimes quarters and halves after 1999. Not enough nickel, even though we were the worlds largest producer for quite a while. We also stopped making 99.9% nickel dollars and two dollar coins this year (2012), not enough nickel.

We did make copper pennies all the way until 1996, so there actually was an abundance of copper here, compared to the US.

US dimes quarters and halves are 91.6% copper, they just look deceivingly like they are made of nickel, of which the nickel-look on the front tends to fool many into thinking its much more available than it really is. The US will no doubt have to move to steel for at the very least the 5 cent piece - not becuase of shortage or expense of copper, but shortage of nickel.

In the Euro, you will have to pay about 13 cents US to get a 10 cent euro coin which contains 3.65 grams of copper - but in order to get a few grams of nickel, you must move all the way to the 1 and 2 Euro coins.

Canada's alloy recovery program probably has melted down 4 billion or so pure nickel coins in the last 4 years to make up for the shortfall - but I can say that we are running out of room fast. The US *must* debase its currency soon, as the physical limitations are beginning to set in regardless of cost.

Geologically speaking, nickel is about 10.5x rarer than copper. Gold is about 15.5x rarer than silver.

Why is nickel so cheap? I don't know. Why did Canada give the US $1Billion worth of free softwood lumber?
Last edited by ZenOps on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby adagirl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:56 pm

shinnosuke wrote:James Wesley, Rawles of survivalblog.com fame just said:
FWIW, I predict that the U.S. Mint will follow Canada's lead and will begin minting stainless steel "nickels" in 2013. So here in the U.S., our window of opportunity to salt away rolls of real nickels without any sorting will soon close. Stack them deep, folks!

Full article:
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/letter-re-advice-on-canadian-nickels.html

Agree? Does it make you happy or do you feel like he just peed in your cornflakes?

I don't know about the 2013 prediction (I think it depends on who wins in November), but I do agree with stacking nickel despite what the coinflation melt value is presently. I have been stacking nickels and will continue to do so. And yes, I stack Cu pennies too.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:56 pm

ZenOps wrote:Why is nickel so cheap? I don't know. Why did Canada give the US $1Billion worth of free softwood lumber?

Because Adam Young told Canada to give the lumber to the US.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Haha.

Actually if you want copper, Britain made two-pence pieces all the way until 1991. They are impressive 7.12 gram coins of Bronze (and not Brass, like most US pennies)

British one pennies (9.4 grams) from 1901 to 1970 can be found in Canada - usually for less than a dime, sometimes barely over spot.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Well, I'm a fan of nickels as well as pennies. However, the vast majority of my nickels are from the U.S.

The composition of a nickel today is 25% nickel and about 75% copper with a trace of manganese, no? Anyway, I guess my concern with holding on to all of these nickels for melt value alone would be the cost to actually separate the 2 metals from each other during the melting process. I'm guessing it's fairly expensive to do that?

Either way, I still enjoy archiving them and putting the remainder into storage for now. The buckets are getting heavy....
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Klark Cent » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:Tell me why again you want to hold on to nickels?

upside potential with no real downside risk
very liquid (for now)
no sorting necessary
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:17 pm

I hope they pick the non-magnetic stainless, or it'll screw up my collection of Canadian coin off of the counter magnets because they'll have to redo the machine and remove that magnet!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:28 am

If Obey-me gets a second term nothing will happen for another 4 years, pennies included. After that, the cent & half dollar go away...JFK gets his mug on (yet) another revamped $1 coin which will be half- dollar sized & weighted. Paper $1 notes disappear over a couple years.

Look for a $5 coin in the not so distant.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby JobIII » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:53 am

Nice CC! Just saw this post and it made me smile :D

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:02 pm

JobIII wrote:

Nice CC! Just saw this post and it made me smile :D

~JobIII

I say this even though I sort...

Let's finish the story, and do it at my typical Cu yield of 20% for a single bank pickup of $100 face, to be sold and shipped as part of a conventional CTU for the generally accepted price of $150 (now a generous offer by today's RC prices)

Nickels:
Total Face Value: $100.00
Current net street value: $100.00
Time value of acqusition: zero (essentially)
Current net worth: $100.00

95% Copper Pennies, after unwrapping, double sorting, returning of dumps:
Total Face Value: $20.00
Net street value after costs of acquisition, S&H: $27.60 plus $80 dumps = $107.60
Time value of acquisition: Estimated 2-1/2 hours at minimum wage of $8.00 = $20
(If you figure your time is worth more than $8.00/hour then the loss is even more.)
Current net worth: $87.60

You can work this many different ways to arrive at different answers, but if you're doing a true business analysis it would have to conform to something much like the above, or worse. It doesn't cover the cost of gas or larger issue of vehicle expenses, machine sorter amoritzation, etc. Quite frankly I'm losing money big-time on cents, myself, and do this mostly as a hobby for the short-term, with some possible positive side benefits (rare coin sales, dump counter pickups, etc) that may or may not make up some of the loss, along with some promise of longer-term payoffs, hoped for but not yet realizable.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Klark Cent » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:14 pm

i guess buying copper cents that someone else sorted is another option.

i do this too.

some downsides are that they take up more space and can't just be cashed in at the bank for what you paid for them.

it depends on your situation. stacking nickels seems better than nothing.
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:52 pm

I have been stacking bricks for several months now, to avoid sorting in the future. I will probably still sort some, but it is much more convenient to do it now.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:16 pm

I think they will get rid of the dollar bill first, force all of the 1$ coins on us & make a cent out of steel for now!
hobo finds

Postby John_doe » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:11 pm

hobo finds wrote:I think they will get rid of the dollar bill first, force all of the 1$ coins on us & make a cent out of steel for now!

to do something like this would make too much sense. don't count on washington to use logic. :roll:
they quit making the $1 coin as far as I know, so they may have aborted this idea with it.

I do expect them to chase canada with the cent though. further debasement until they completely do away with them.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 pm

hobo finds wrote:I think they will get rid of the dollar bill first, force all of the 1$ coins on us & make a cent out of steel for now!

im still sticking to my guns on a trade in program with the mint for the presidential dollar coins they have sitting on their shelves. I would be glad to swap coppers for them, at a rate of my choosing of course. :D

copper for zinc garbage, it is a win win for both parties, but once again this would make sense.

abandon all logic, ye who enter here.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:54 pm

I believe that regardless of the election outcome in Nov, the cent in its current form is doomed. The argument will be made that "Surveys have been taken and the public wants to keep its one cent coin. Rather than cease production like Canada has done in 2012, we'll continue production in another metal. They'll look the same and may, in fact, even look shinier. This is a way we can shave some much-needed money off of the national debt."

Cent will be first then others will follow in 6 month intervals. The circulating (a misnomer even long ago) half buck will be retired to the graveyard of the 20 cent piece and others. Besides, 2013 will be the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's asassination. "We've honored President Kennedy's memory for 50 years and it's time to retire this coin in November, 2013."

Further debasement of the US coinage isn't very possible unless one goes to a token-like system composed of recycled milk jug plastic.

The glory days of coin collecting are being gnawed away by current economic forces. Actual collectors have already assumed a Do-Do Bird presence as the massive shift has been made to bullion investors and speculators. Coin shops I know usually don't bother putting collectable coins in their showcases anymore. It's all bullion all the time.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins