Bright, Shiny 2012 D Mint Dump... Grrrrrr!

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Bright, Shiny 2012 D Mint Dump... Grrrrrr!

Postby SilverChaser111 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:48 am

Well, this is a first. I've been sorting anywhere from 5 to 10 nickel boxes a week for a while now, and I've always found a good mix of old nickels. Last night, I opened up a box and the glare of the shiny metal about blinded me (clear plastic rolls). It looks like I caught a Mint dump of uncirculated 2012 D's.... Out of $100, over $80 worth was basically BU 2012 D's. Each roll had a cpl old ones mixed in.... not one solid roll. Ended up skunking on silver (not surprising considering), but I did find a nice bright '63 proof nickel mixed in. :thumbup:

Anyways, I sorted through it, and now have over 40 rolls worth of practically BU 2012 D's... what do I do with em? Is there any market for these? Or should I just dump em back at the bank? I only ask because I usually only see one or two uncirculated 2012's in a box, so you don't see these all the time. I don't at least. I figure if nothing else, they probably weigh more than any of the other nickels I'm stacking due to their being absolutely no wear on them, so i could keep them just for that alone. But so far I've been only keeping pre-1960 nicks, all "s" mints nicks, and good condition 2005's just because I like the design. Do I really want to start keeping brand new nicks also... what are your thoughts? And have any of you come across mostly BU boxes and if so, what did you do with em?
SilverChaser111
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Bright, Shiny 2012 D Mint Dump... Grrrrrr!

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:52 am

I've managed to save a few rolls of the 2012 P and D mint rolls during my nickel searches. I don't keep any new ones I find though. I'm in the process of making a nickel archive collection...basically one full roll of every year and mint mark as far back as I can go ;)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:12 am

Had a box last week that was nearly all 2012. Has about a dozed other jeffs mixed in, including a 1939D, 1943S, and 1945S. Box was Loomis with Loomis wrappers from a local Chase Bank. If this had been a Mint box, or a box with some Mint rolls, I might not have busted everything open, but I have found rolls with Buffs and "V"s surrounded by new nicks before.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverChaser111 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:47 am

galenrog wrote:Had a box last week that was nearly all 2012. Has about a dozed other jeffs mixed in, including a 1939D, 1943S, and 1945S. Box was Loomis with Loomis wrappers from a local Chase Bank. If this had been a Mint box, or a box with some Mint rolls, I might not have busted everything open, but I have found rolls with Buffs and "V"s surrounded by new nicks before.

Yeah, that's why I still checked each roll. If there had been any rolls that were SOLID 2012's I would have set them aside also. What did you do with all those 2012's after sorting them? Did you just dump them back? I figured they might carry a very slight premium due to them being basically BU, and I could make solid rolls of 2012 D's, but if there is no interest in them, than I will just send them on back to the bank.
SilverChaser111
Penny Sorter Member

Postby copper cane » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:53 am

If you have 20+ rolls of 2012 nickels,or 2012 pennies, even though there are search I'd love to buy some. They are scarce in MN and being I'm unable to get about now I'm afraid I'll miss the 2012 nickels and pennies completely. Willing to pay for the coins and extra trouble of your sending them. Hate being stuck in this wheelchair and all these coins are just passing me by--taunting me as they go. Warning: don't any of you get old--it's not pretty!!LOL
copper cane
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins