Alloy Recovery Program coming to the US?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Alloy Recovery Program coming to the US?

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:17 am

I found this report “THE FUTURE OF MONEY: COIN PRODUCTION” BEFORE THE HOUSE FINANCIAL SERVICES SUBCOMMITTEE ON DOMESTIC MONETARY POLICY & TECHNOLOGY UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES APRIL 17, 2012 http://financialservices.house.gov/uploadedfiles/hhrg-112-ba19-wstate-rbosco-20120417.pdf

(2) Parallel adoption of an alloy recovery program – in which the United States Mint
collects and replaces copper‐nickel alloy coins in circulation with multi‐ply plated
steel coins and salvages the copper and nickel material from the retired coins – has
the potential to generate over $2 billion in additional revenue for the United States
Mint.

Any thoughts?
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Alloy Recovery Program coming to the US?

Postby mtalbot_ca » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Hummm.... I wonder if the US nickel hoarding days are as doomed as in Canada?
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:57 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:Hummm.... I wonder if the US nickel hoarding days are as doomed as in Canada?

It would be more doomed than Canada as they might use the Ryedale proof Planchet. See --http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18414&hilit=+jarden
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:04 pm

higher premiums here we come. :thumbup:

we all knew this day would come. this is what we hoarded for gents!
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 pm

First you have to realize who wrote the report and their overall adjenda:
The report was commissioned by Jarden Zinc Products, North America’s leading plated coin blank producer and a licensee of the Royal Canadian Mint’s multi‐ply plated steel technology.

Second, they do not recommend doing anything with the penny that I could tell except not to get rid of it, because of course they are selling the zinc blanks for that too.

They just want to sell the mint blanks that are mult-ply for the quarter, dime and nickel stating that by doing so the mint could save money. :shifty:

I did not see anywhere in the report about the advantage of recovering 95% copper pennies and replacing them with a different metal coin. :cry:
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John_doe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:First you have to realize who wrote the report and their overall adjenda:
The report was commissioned by Jarden Zinc Products, North America’s leading plated coin blank producer and a licensee of the Royal Canadian Mint’s multi‐ply plated steel technology.

Second, they do not recommend doing anything with the penny that I could tell except not to get rid of it, because of course they are selling the zinc blanks for that too.

They just want to sell the mint blanks that are mult-ply for the quarter, dime and nickel stating that by doing so the mint could save money. :shifty:

I did not see anywhere in the report about the advantage of recovering 95% copper pennies and replacing them with a different metal coin. :cry:

more for us. :thumbup:
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 pm

I really hope this doesn't happen... Seriously. That would really annoy me. I don't know what else to say about this...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 pm

scyther wrote:I really hope this doesn't happen... Seriously. That would really annoy me. I don't know what else to say about this...

I see it as a win win which ever way they choose to go.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:04 am

John_doe wrote:
scyther wrote:I really hope this doesn't happen... Seriously. That would really annoy me. I don't know what else to say about this...

I see it as a win win which ever way they choose to go.

Maybe you have a lot more stacked than I do. I certainly see how there could be some benefit to us. I just want more time to accumulate pennies... and I always assumed the nickels would remain for a long time to come.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ZenOps » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Technically, since the US is so obsessed with bills, it would technically be possible to use 5 cent bills. China uses Yuan bills as 15 cents afterall, absolutely no shortage of those either, haha!
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins