Canadian Nickel - Price comparison

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Canadian Nickel - Price comparison

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:07 pm

I have often read that .999 cdn nickels, currently being sold at around 14$ per pound (shipped and depending on quantities) is considered overpriced. I wanted to compare it to silver fractionnals and see what the difference would be.

Here what I came up with:

For Silver:

Unit Price Price per oz % over melt price
1 oz (généric) 39,95 $ 39,95 $ 17,8%
1 oz (ASE) 43,44 $ 43,44 $ 28,1%
1/2 oz (90%) 23,50 $ 47,00 $ 38,6%
1/2 oz 25,50 $ 51,00 $ 50,4%
1/4 oz 14,95 $ 59,80 $ 76,4%
1 gram 1,66 $ 51,63 $ 52,3%

For nickel:

Melt price per pound If unit price is .14 cents each then % over melt is for

7,53 $ 85,9%
8,00 $ 75,0%
9,00 $ 55,6%
10,00 $ 40,0%
11,00 $ 27,3%
12,00 $ 16,7%
13,00 $ 7,7%
14,00 $ 0,0%

Not as bad as I thought. At a melt price of around 9$ per pound, the cdn nickels becomes more competitive. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Canadian Nickel - Price comparison

Postby barrytrot » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Where are you selling them for $14/pound, that's WAY over anything I've seen. I would say more like $10 to $12 per pound is the "market rate".
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:55 pm

All prices are shipped.

It is about 10 dollars per pound + shipping. I've put the worst case scenario, shipping from Eastern Canada to California so 14 dollars per pound.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:47 pm

In the market I've been tracking for the last year, it's $10 to $12 per pound including shipping.

In fact, Highroller's auction ended in the $8.6/pound SHIPPED range.

Flat rate shipping makes the destination and origination meaningless.

Naturally shipping FROM Canada will beef up the shipping prices a LOT, but "US" to "US" is going in the $10 to $12 per pound INCLUDING shipping and has been for over a year.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 am

10-12 is a little high in my recent experiences. Some that know me say I am a cheapskate though.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:23 am

Canada to Canada, probably $8/pound is reasonable, slightly over spot.

I've actually been trying to get US nickels this year. Offering $110Cdn to anyone willing to simply go to a bank and bring back a box for me if they can't find anything else to fill up their duty quota limit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... imits.html

It was near impossible before, because the maximum on all goods (not just nickels or pennies) used to be $50 per day, or $400 over a 48-hour, of which most people usually went to the US to buy cheap milk and clothing (and gasoline, but noone ever declares their gasoline)
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:58 am

Just posting this for fun but it is true.

ZenOps wrote:

I've actually been trying to get US nickels this year. Offering $110Cdn to anyone willing to simply go to a bank and bring back a box for me if they can't find anything else to fill up their duty quota limit

You can not take over $5 in pennies are $5 in nickels out of the US on your person. From http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=press_release&ID=724

The regulations also prohibit the unlicensed exportation of these coins, except that travelers may take up to $5 in these coins out of the country,

And
The new regulations authorize a fine of not more than $10,000, or imprisonment of not more than five years, or both, against a person who knowingly violates the regulations. In addition, by law, any coins exported, melted, or treated in violation of the regulation shall be forfeited to the United States Government.

But you can haul up to 10k of your coin to here it might be a little less and the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US from a old thread of ours.

So I Emailed Canada Border Services Agency this--
Transporting Canadian coins out of Canada
I live in the US and my son who has autism like to collect coins he has a Canadian set started. I asked a friend if he could buy me some rolls of coins the next time he is a Canada and bring them back. He is worry that it might be not lawful to do so as it is unlawful to take more than $5 US dollars of US 1 cent and 5 cent out. See -- http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=press_release&ID=724. The fines on the US side can be stiff " of not more than $10,000, or imprisonment of not more than five years, or both, against a person who knowingly violates the regulations. In addition, by law, any coins exported, melted, or treated in violation of the regulation shall be forfeited to the United States Government".
So is it the same way taking coins out of Canada.

Thanks
Joe Henry

RE: Transporting Canadian coins out of Canada **8553**
X
CBSA-ASFC_CONTACT to jkft
show details 1:08 PM (7 hours ago)
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) appreciates your interest in ensuring that you meet the Cross Border Currency Reporting requirements upon exiting Canada. As you may be aware, the CBSA is responsible for the administration and enforcement of Part II of the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act. Part II requires the reporting of currency or monetary instruments in the actual possession of a person arriving in or departing from Canada. Each traveller is responsible for his or her own declaration.

There are no restrictions on the amount of currency or monetary instruments that you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so. However, you have to report to the CBSA amounts equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 or its equivalent in foreign currency. If you require further information on the CBSA’s Cross Border Currency Reporting Program, please visit our Web site at
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-sec ... u-eng.html

For information regarding the importation of coins into the United States, we suggest that you contact U.S. Customs and Border Protection for assistance with this matter at http://www.cbp.gov ,
or 1-703-526-4200.

We trust that this information is useful to you. Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:17 am

At 12$ per pound delivered, the nickels compare quite nicely with some of the fractionnal silvers:

Melt price per pound if unit price is .12 cents each
then % over melt is:

Melt value %
7,53 $ 59,4%
8,00 $ 50,0%
9,00 $ 33,3%
10,00 $ 20,0%
11,00 $ 9,1%
12,00 $ 0,0%
13,00 $ -7,7%
14,00 $ -14,3%
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ZenOps » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:24 am

$5 as "money", $100 for numismatic purposes.

Numismatic is "dutiable". I am actually still looking to round out my US nickel collection. I am missing 1950 and 1951 (should have found them by now, but sometimes its just dumb luck) Found one US war nickel this year as well.

Regular US nickels in circulation are between 1 and 2% per box where I am. It takes me going through a hundred boxes to get a full box of US nickels.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby nero12345 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:20 pm

ZenOps wrote:Canada to Canada, probably $8/pound is reasonable, slightly over spot.

I've actually been trying to get US nickels this year. Offering $110Cdn to anyone willing to simply go to a bank and bring back a box for me if they can't find anything else to fill up their duty quota limit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... imits.html

It was near impossible before, because the maximum on all goods (not just nickels or pennies) used to be $50 per day, or $400 over a 48-hour, of which most people usually went to the US to buy cheap milk and clothing (and gasoline, but noone ever declares their gasoline)

So if anyone is selling Pure Canadian Nickel for $8 a pound shipped to Nova Scotia, Canada,,,, I'M BUYING. I will never go to the bank, then run them through the ryedale, then re roll the 80% or so post 81' nickels that i don't keep and return them to the bank again. LOL. Can't wait till they reach the double digits again. They were the funs times :lol:
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:28 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:Melt value %
7,53 $ 59,4%
8,00 $ 50,0%
9,00 $ 33,3%
10,00 $ 20,0%
11,00 $ 9,1%
12,00 $ 0,0%
13,00 $ -7,7%
14,00 $ -14,3%

Do you mind if I ask why you're using a comma instead of a decimal point? According to this, it seems Canada (and every other English speaking country in the world) uses a decimal point, so I'm kind of confused...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... arator.svg
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:52 pm

scyther wrote:

Do you mind if I ask why you're using a comma instead of a decimal point? According to this, it seems Canada (and every other English speaking country in the world) uses a decimal point, so I'm kind of confused...

I ask myself the same thing and found out this --

French Canadian use Arabic numerals with decimal comma see- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Countries_using_Arabic_numerals_with_decimal_comma

Also the $ goes after the number From--http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071201135756AAlYc6X
Officially, you write the decimal point as a comma and the dollar sign after the number, like 28,95$
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:13 pm

henrysmedford wrote:
scyther wrote:

I ask myself the same thing and found out this --

French Canadian use Arabic numerals with decimal comma see- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Countries_using_Arabic_numerals_with_decimal_comma

Also the $ goes after the number From--http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071201135756AAlYc6X
Officially, you write the decimal point as a comma and the dollar sign after the number, like 28,95$

Oh, right, I forgot about French Canada. It was all one color on the map. Still not sure why you would use it that way in English but whatever.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi there,

In my case, it is simplier than that.

I use MS-Excel, which is set-up that way so when I cut and paste, the commas are following.

Cheers,
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins