Is the RCM alloy recovery plan finished?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Is the RCM alloy recovery plan finished?

Postby mickeyman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:13 pm

The reason I asked is that on my last trip to the bank I got ten rolls of Coinage Distribution Inc. nickels, which in the past have always been pure steel. After cursing my luck, I noticed that several of the nickels on the ends of the rolls were CuNi, and one was a 1973.

These rolls were just under 10% nickel with a good deal of CuNi.
mickeyman
Penny Collector Member

Re: Is the RCM alloy recovery plan finished?

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:42 pm

I do not think so. I have checked this report (from 2009, the 2010 report is now available online yet):

http://www.mint.ca/store/dyn/PDFs/RCM_09AR_ENG_FA.pdf

and here is an extract:

''The Mint achieved its third consecutive year of record performance with revenues of $2.0 billion and net income of $49.1 million. Global financial uncertainty continued to fuel extraordinary demand for bullion products, while astute hedging allowed the Alloy Recovery Program (ARP) to remain profitable despite the sharp decline in nickel prices.''
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 pm

I've been making a point to buy Canadian NI coins (especially nickels) on Ebay. In addition to currency diversification; my thinking is that the RCM's alloy recovery efforts might make these coins at least semi-rare in the not-too-distant future.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:27 am

mickeyman wrote:The reason I asked is that on my last trip to the bank I got ten rolls of Coinage Distribution Inc. nickels, which in the past have always been pure steel. After cursing my luck, I noticed that several of the nickels on the ends of the rolls were CuNi, and one was a 1973.

These rolls were just under 10% nickel with a good deal of CuNi.

What part of Canada are you in? Coin Inc basically had to close its doors. Their head office in vancouver close last year and they don't even have a website up anymore.

Coin inc also lost the recovery program contract to an armored so thats why you may find some none stell coins in your rolls.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins