US Nickels @ $0.07

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

US Nickels @ $0.07

Postby slvrbck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:16 pm

I know this is a hot issue that probably will not be laid to rest anytime soon but I wanted to give my angle. . .
First of all, as of today on coinflation US nickels are worth $0.07!!!
I have been a long time slow hand sorter of all coins but have been considering upping my holdings of copper based coins significantly.
I dont own a Ryedale and dont really anticipate doing so because frankly I dont like dealing w/ such a large volume of zincs. Dumping several boxes here and there is enough for me, and I forsee larger headaches and issues with dumping mass coin in the near future.
For some math - (I've had a few beers here after work so correct me if I'm wrong).
1 box of US nickels unsorted has a current value of $140.
1 box of US cents unsorted (assuming lets say 20% copper) has a current value of ~ $120.
I do understand all of the merit in sorting the cents and the multiplying factor with dumping and buying more unsorted cents, but frankly it is alot of work (and alot of fun for me, but on a smaller scale).
My goal is to acquire a large stash of boxes over a relatively short amount of time with as little hassle as possible.
Whatever I acquire will most likely be sorted over time but I am speculating on a significant rise in nickel as well as copper and see a nice value in US nickels.
Basically my problem is I have a chunk of money to invest, already have a base holding in silver/gold and cannot really justify buying much more at these levels.
I would like to acquire as much metal as possible without having to dump $1000's worth of zincs.
Any input/thoughts appreciated.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Re: US Nickels @ $0.07

Postby 999Ni » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:04 am

how bout pure 999 canadian nickel? great investment if you believe in nickel. i get 'em from nate at copper cave.

unfortunately for me, i don't have money to tie up in boxes of nickels rite now. maybe down the road, when a U.S. nickel is worth 2x face.
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Definitely makes me want to get a few more boxes to line the walls of my bunker.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:15 pm

If your looking for CU without dumping, purchase your cents right here from fellow realcenter's....if you want the Cupro-nickel then hit the bank for boxes of nics...do what Ponce did and order a truckload....if for .999 nickel PM our neighbors to the North for some or check with the Copper Cave...I think cents is where its at right now....I haven't seen boxes of nickels trading on CL or on Feebay lately so i am unsure of the profit potential. IMO there are lots of nickels out there and the CU cents are drying up.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:50 pm

slvrbck... I suggest sobering up :( ... or putting back a few more :lol: ... whatever works for you... and read fasteddy's post again. I'd say it makes the most CENTS! He's right on with what I'd do if I were in your boat. I however, have decided to bail the zincs out of my boat and float with my own coppers.

I am looking for some Canadian nickels as well... if anyone has other sources for these... PM me! Seems the copper cave sells out fast. I'd like to trade some pre 82 Canadian nickels for some pre 82 US pennies... so keep that in mind slyrbck if you end up with some Canadian nickels and are lookin for some boxes of copper cents.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby thedrifter » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 am

Check out the "BUY IT NOW" auction on FEEBAY for $250,000 FV cents from the PORTLAND MINT. The feebay seller name is high_roller4321. Do you have $575,000? Shipping is free, and you will earn $200 in "feebay bucks".
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:02 am

Pennybug wrote:slvrbck... I suggest sobering up :( ... or putting back a few more :lol: ... whatever works for you... and read fasteddy's post again. I'd say it makes the most CENTS! He's right on with what I'd do if I were in your boat. I however, have decided to bail the zincs out of my boat and float with my own coppers.

I am looking for some Canadian nickels as well... if anyone has other sources for these... PM me! Seems the copper cave sells out fast. I'd like to trade some pre 82 Canadian nickels for some pre 82 US pennies... so keep that in mind slyrbck if you end up with some Canadian nickels and are lookin for some boxes of copper cents.

Copper Cave is a good source for smaller amounts. FasTTcar will drop ship larger amounts direct from Canada. I'm not in the selling mode now, but some of the other Canadians might be interested in selling some.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby 97guns » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:07 pm

ive been slacking off lately but finally made a run and added 5 boxes today.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:09 am

I'd suggest just going with cents...maybe have 1 or 2 boxes of nickels, but there are SOO many of those, the cu cents are drying up so go with those.
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tn-dave » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Interesting thread. I see the logic that the same 5 cents (nickel) that is worth .07 is worth .15 with 5 CU pennies. But the % is going to be 100% with the nickel rolls and right now I'm between 20%-25% with penny rolls.

I was given a nice set of Nickel Albums for Christmas so I'm buying rolls to fill in holes and I'll go ahead and save those .07 coins. At least while I still have extra $$ to purchase and sort penny rolls also.
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby 97guns » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Roadrunner wrote:I'd suggest just going with cents...maybe have 1 or 2 boxes of nickels, but there are SOO many of those, the cu cents are drying up so go with those.

i was sorting pennies but its just much easier for me to stack boxes of CuNi, i convert around $2500 a month fiat into hard assets and penny sorting just wasn't cutting it.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:25 pm

I was stacking Nickels also, but I got to doing the math. Even If I have to buy the pennies at 2 cents ea, it's better gain in metal value than Nickels at 5 cents each.

5 pennies at 2 cent each= 10 cent investment, and 15 cents melt

2 nickels at 5 cents each = 10 cent investment, and 14.4 cents melt.

So I'm buying pennies now.

The one advantage to nickels is if you are forced to sell, they are liquid at your investment price.

Pennies might not be as liquid and take time to sell at your investment price. Plus if copper goes down you could lose money.

Postby natsb88 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:38 am

I noticed Copper Cave was mentioned a few times here. I have 50 pounds of Canadian .999 nickel on the way, I'm hoping it gets here this week. I actually purchased it a month ago but ran into shipping problems. I also have a new "bulk" .999 nickel product that should be on the website in a few days and will sell for about the same as the Canadian nickels...
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby involuntary tentacle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 pm

i am thinking about expanding into nickels as well.

the 100% rate is a great sell on the boxes :)
but would it be worth my time to sort through them for war nickels and buffalo nickels?
i already sort pennies and halves... at great expense to my time.

if not, i have no problem buying boxes and sitting on them.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Slaphot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:48 pm

If it were legal to melt nickels what type of % would the refiners pay for 25/75 nickels? I know if pre82's were legal you would get copper #2 which is only 75-80%. Just curious.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 999Ni » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks Nate, I'll be waiting!! :twisted:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins