Nickels and pennies okay, how about other denominations?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nickels and pennies okay, how about other denominations?

Postby involuntary tentacle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:04 am

Will CuNi dimes, quarters and half dollars be worth anything post-SHTF?
Once complete faith is lost in paper currency, these coins will still have intrinsic value.

Will the people who have not hoarded Au/Ag/Cu/Ni be completely SOL even with a bunch of CuNi coins stacked?

For anyone who thinks these coins will still have value (albeit way less than the normal coins we hoard), how much are you putting away?

I mean, lets say I have $1000FV of all denominations combined. I could be using that money to buy more important things. However, if things were to get bad out of nowhere, I would not have that money to fall back on. What to do, what to do.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Nickels and pennies okay, how about other denominations?

Postby Tommybee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:33 am

The Cupro-Nickel stuff does have value. The melt value. However, for most of these coins the melt value is far below the face value. They'll be better than nothing if the SHTF, but silver, nickel and copper coins will be much better to have.

The only way I could see hoarding CN stuff is if there is no good stuff left. Right now it makes no sense to hoard clad garbage.
Tommybee

Postby barrytrot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:42 am

I would think that the CuNi dimes/quarters/halves would also have at least some Numismatic value also.

Due to the fact that the Canadian government is melting them down their scarcity is increasing daily.

As such, I personally would keep a few rolls just for that reason. Only shiny examples, of course!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:53 am

barrytrot wrote:I would think that the CuNi dimes/quarters/halves would also have at least some Numismatic value also.

Due to the fact that the Canadian government is melting them down their scarcity is increasing daily.

As such, I personally would keep a few rolls just for that reason. Only shiny examples, of course!

I've seen other posts that mention the melting activities of the Canadian gov't. Could someone point me to an article or official website that provides details, i.e., quantities, goals, time frame, etc.? Is Canada melting only its own coins or US too?

Is the US doing the same thing?

After finding realcent.org, I cashed in all my dimes and quarters that I had saved over the last few years. I wanted their face value to buy pennies.

By the way, over the weekend I sorted 20 rolls of dimes. In roll #8 I found a 1952 Roosevelt, my first good coin in the wild, a bit worn, but nonetheless a cheerful piece of AG. I am now completely hooked.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:08 am

shinnosuke wrote:
barrytrot wrote:I would think that the CuNi dimes/quarters/halves would also have at least some Numismatic value also.

I've seen other posts that mention the melting activities of the Canadian gov't. Could someone point me to an article or official website that provides details, i.e., quantities, goals, time frame, etc.? Is Canada melting only its own coins or US too?

After finding realcent.org, I cashed in all my dimes and quarters that I had saved over the last few years. I wanted their face value to buy pennies.

By the way, over the weekend I sorted 20 rolls of dimes. In roll #8 I found a 1952 Roosevelt, my first good coin in the wild, a bit worn, but nonetheless a cheerful piece of AG. I am now completely hooked.

fastTT or JadeDragon may have an article or something more concrete, but I think it's fairly common knowledge:

The CA government contracts out to coin processors who filter out all the "good coin" and melt it. They keep a count of the number melted and the CA mint replaces them with "bad coin".

They do not process US coin, other than accidentally.

The US government isn't smart enough to have "bad coin" yet, so naturally they also don't melt it themselves. The US could change to a steel version and start a melt program of their own and make millions of dollars in profit each month. Instead producing a cent or a nickel costs the mint money. Crazy.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby whatsnext » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:49 am

No, you should not let money sit that could be used for making more money. They will sit as long as you let them, loseing buying power just like cash. Make your money do something b/c sitting money gets skinnier not fatter.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:11 am

barrytrot wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

fastTT or JadeDragon may have an article or something more concrete, but I think it's fairly common knowledge:

The CA government contracts out to coin processors who filter out all the "good coin" and melt it. They keep a count of the number melted and the CA mint replaces them with "bad coin".

They do not process US coin, other than accidentally.

The US government isn't smart enough to have "bad coin" yet, so naturally they also don't melt it themselves. The US could change to a steel version and start a melt program of their own and make millions of dollars in profit each month. Instead producing a cent or a nickel costs the mint money. Crazy.

Thanks, barrytrot.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins