Effects of the fall in US dollar on Canadian coin searches

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Effects of the fall in US dollar on Canadian coin searches

Postby mickeyman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Maybe this is just a coincidence but I am lately getting a lot of US coinage in CWR (both pennies and nickels).

On my last trip to a bank I got ten rolls of nickels. Every roll had only one or two Canadian nickels on the ends of the rolls and the rest were all US (they are thicker so you can fill a roll with only about 36 nickels instead of 40).

No buffalos, no war nickels, oldest was '41, plus two late 40s and five from the 50's.

The last batch of pennies ran about 60% US (of which a pretty good number were Cu--over 30%).
mickeyman
Penny Collector Member

Re: Effects of the fall in US dollar on Canadian coin search

Postby Metaldog » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Same here! It's ridiculous how many are ending up in the rolls!
Metaldog

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:24 pm

I got a strange 25$-box just before X-Mas. Had 16 rolls of american one-cent. Oldest was a 1926. Most were coppers. I think it might come from those ''Snowbirds'' that go to Florida over the winter and come back to Canada for the summer. The individual must have been saving his pennies and decided to return them all at once.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:13 pm

In theory as the Canadian dollar gets close to parity the general public stops pulling all the American coins they find and saving them aside. Just toss that American quarter back in circulation so some other sucker gets stuck with it!
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Verbane » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:21 pm

Paybacks a B.... :o

I grew up/lived in Western NY for 30 years. It never bothered me, since I saved all CA coins that I found, but it wasn't uncommon to find almost solid CA rolls in the late 80's to early 90's.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:51 pm

I have also noticed an recent increase in American coins here in Ottawa. Infact my last two Nickle bricks had a war nickel in each of them. I dont mind it too much. If I dont want them they go back to the bank anyways.
Last edited by frugalcanuck on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby west77 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:54 pm

I have been doing a few boxes lately and have thought the same thing... there is a huge spike in American coin to the point where I now get around 10- 15% American coinage in my rolls. I also had one roll of pure 1941 and one of 1952- both almost uncirculated. It makes me wonder how long ago somebody pulled them and if his kids just sold his entire collection to the bank when he passed away or was put in a home. It seems like he must have done a lot of work and saved them for decades to be sold at face to the bank, and it makes me hope that when I go the people who inherit my stash are smarter than that.
west77

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Verbane wrote:Paybacks a B.... :o

LOL
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:16 pm

The TD coin counters around here take US coins at par which is handy these days, I guess if the ratio moved away from par in our favor they might change their policy.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby west77 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:37 pm

psi wrote:The TD coin counters around here take US coins at par which is handy these days, I guess if the ratio moved away from par in our favor they might change their policy.

TD coin counters?!? Must be in the Ontario? None of those around these parts. :evil:
west77

Postby psi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:47 pm

Yeah, they claim it's a pilot project but it still seems to be only a few branches, until I found out about that I was basically just stockpiling my reject coins until I really needed the money and got around to rolling them.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NickelExpress » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 am

All I want for Christmas is a coinstar nearby...or banks start taking bags..that would be even better
NickelExpress
Penny Sorter Member

Postby abc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:00 pm

I like to use my US change in Canada. I live a couple miles from the border now, and used to hate getting canadian change back from store when the exchange rate was 50%. So now I try to give my worthless or soon to be US quarters and dimes away in canada =)
abc
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:49 pm

As of this writing, one troy ounce of gold can be purchased for US $1429.50 or CDN $1405.27. (Source: Kitco.com)

Which would you rather have to make your metals purchases? Wonder if the bridge tolls between the US and Canada are higher now when paying in US greenbacks? O Canada.......................
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins