Latest box of nickels, better silver%

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Latest box of nickels, better silver%

Postby Verbane » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Finished a box of CWR nickels this evening. Better than average silver for this one.

2-1943 P
1- 1944 D

1968 S mint
1993 S mint

1958 Belgian Franc :shock:

37 pre '60 Jeffs
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Re: Latest box of nickels, better silver%

Postby chris819 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:16 am

Wow nice box
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Postby twentybux » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:44 pm

Sweet finds!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 999Ni » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:06 am

pre '60's get me all giddy! 37 is a good amount! 3 war nicks, not bad!
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:36 am

My war nickel % seems to be getting b etter too
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Verbane wrote:Finished a box of CWR nickels this evening. Better than average silver for this one.

2-1943 P
1- 1944 D

1968 S mint
1993 S mint

1958 Belgian Franc :shock:

37 pre '60 Jeffs

I'll see your 1958 Belgian Franc, and raise you a 2007 Twenty Pence ;)

Just did my first box of 5¢ and I found that, along with 2 war nicks, a 5 Euro cent, couple '79 Canada, and 39 pre-60

Now to google what a Twenty Pence means...
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 pm

These twenty pence bits must be common in nickel rolls, eh? Found three more in the second box of BWR. And some Bermuda junk.

Have to speak with them about their Quality Control. :)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby schockergd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:45 am

How much are pre-60s worth?

For 2 years I saved every nickel I came across (so this would have been from early 08 through 10) and finally counted them around October or so. I ended up with 2 war nickels and no less than 20 or 25 pre-60 nickels (With more than half dated 1957).
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby twentybux » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:00 am

Wonder with everyone and their brother going through halves if silver nickels will remain our little secret for a while longer, eh?
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:31 am

I haven't found a Belgian Franc or a twenty pence, but I just found a 1964 5 centavos from the Philippines. :)
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby schockergd » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:43 am

Is there a good way to check for nickel values of years?

I just bought & went through a $20 box of machine wrapped coins from my small , home town bank.

This was the year distribution (I held back everything from 64 & below).

19 1964
2 1963
3 1961
1 1959
1 1958
1 1957
1 1948
1 1947
1 1943 (Silver!)
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Treetop » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:44 pm

I know about warnicks, but whats the deal with pre 1960 nickles?
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Is there any specific reason this thread has over 700 views? Is someone sitting here and hitting F5?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Corsair wrote:Is there any specific reason this thread has over 700 views? Is someone sitting here and hitting F5?

The thread is almost two months old now. Perhaps the title is something that people are noticing when doing an internet search about nickels and silver and they click on it to see what it is about.

What is F5?
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Snake42 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:07 pm

Why are you keeping pre 64's?
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:21 pm

PreservingThePast wrote:
Corsair wrote:Is there any specific reason this thread has over 700 views? Is someone sitting here and hitting F5?

The thread is almost two months old now. Perhaps the title is something that people are noticing when doing an internet search about nickels and silver and they click on it to see what it is about.

What is F5?

Good thinking PTP, I didn't notice when this thread was created. F5 is a quick way to refresh a page. It's on the top of your keyboard. Hit it, and it'll do the exact same thing as the Refresh button on the top of your screen.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:48 am

Corsair wrote:
PreservingThePast wrote:

What is F5?

Good thinking PTP, I didn't notice when this thread was created. F5 is a quick way to refresh a page. It's on the top of your keyboard. Hit it, and it'll do the exact same thing as the Refresh button on the top of your screen.

Up to 800 views. I agree. I think the title of the post is an eye catcher. :)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 am

Corsair wrote:
PreservingThePast wrote:

What is F5?

Thanks, Corsair!!! I learned something new today. Do the other F keys at the top do similar things? Any others that I should know about? My F5, F6, F7 and F12 keys have blue in an area that is sort of a subscript place. How do I access that or don't I want to do that?

Thanks again for teaching me something new. Will my old brain remember it for long? Who knows but I sure hope so!
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 am

Up to 800 views. I agree. I think the title of the post is an eye catcher. :)

Over 800 views now. There seems to be a lot of visitor activity on the forum lately so perhaps the title is popping up in a lot of internet searches and leading people here to the forum and this thread.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:17 am

PreservingThePast wrote:

Thanks, Corsair!!! I learned something new today. Do the other F keys at the top do similar things? Any others that I should know about? My F5, F6, F7 and F12 keys have blue in an area that is sort of a subscript place. How do I access that or don't I want to do that?

Thanks again for teaching me something new. Will my old brain remember it for long? Who knows but I sure hope so![/quote]

The blue symbols are accessed by hitting the "Fn" key that should be in the bottom left of your keyboard. Honestly, you won't need to use those. Those are there if you are watching something and don't have a mouse with you. I never use any of the other function keys, except occasionally alt + F4. If you hold down alt and hit F4, your entire window will close. I think it's quicker than searching for that red x in the top right of the screen.
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Corsair wrote:
PreservingThePast wrote:

Thanks again for teaching me something new. Will my old brain remember it for long? Who knows but I sure hope so!

The blue symbols are accessed by hitting the "Fn" key that should be in the bottom left of your keyboard. Honestly, you won't need to use those. Those are there if you are watching something and don't have a mouse with you. I never use any of the other function keys, except occasionally alt + F4. If you hold down alt and hit F4, your entire window will close. I think it's quicker than searching for that red x in the top right of the screen.[/quote]

Thanks, Corsair, for additional information on computer use!

Now back to the main event.......we sit back and see how many war nickels we can find in our sorts. AND, see how quickly the views on this thread increase.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
Be sure to report your search results in the monthly tracking of half dollars and other coins over in the Tracking Section. It's great fun to see what is found, in what quantities and where.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins