First timer

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

First timer

Postby ethan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Hello all. I just finished searching my first box of nickels. I'm pulling anything special and setting them aside, then keeping the remainder for their base metal value. Here are my results so far:

Nickels searched: 2000 (50 rolls)
2009: 10 (0.5%)
1942-45: 0
1938,1939 D,S: 0
Other pre-1950: 4 (0.2%) - (2x 1941-S, 1946, 1946-S)
Canada: 1 (a 1986)

A few notes and questions:
1) The 1946-S is in excellent condition. Very shiny and only a few little dings.
2) As for Jefferson nickels, should I be looking for anything else?
3) Is it worthwhile to separate any that are before a certain year? I've read some people separating all earlier than 1964, or 1950.
4) I found a 2006-D that has a distinct bronzish-copperish tint. It stood out as it was surrounded by all the silver-colored ones. What's that?
5) I bought a variety pack of paper wrappers at the 99-cent store. Not really cost effective as I have a bunch of quarters- and dime-wrappers left over (I also just started sorting pennies and will post results in that board). Where would you recommend getting paper rolls?

I really enjoyed searching. It was fun and relaxing. I have two more boxes sitting here. I appreciate all the info on these message boards. Thank you.
ethan

Re: First timer

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:33 am

Ethan...welcome!

The 1950D nickel is also considered one of the five key date nickels.

All 1942 are not war nickels. They changed to the "war nickel" composition part way through the year 1942 so look for the large mint mark above the dome to determine if it is a war nickel.

You did great on finding the 2009 nickels. I began searching in July, 2008 so I have had from the beginning of 2009 to find that coin and I have found, in total, less than what you found in one box. There is some sentiment that the 2009 may become another 1950D down the road as there were way less minted in 2009 than in prior years but still a lot more than some of the more rare dates. You just never know.

The Canadian nickels you want to keep are the 1981 or earlier which are the .999 nickel. Their 1982 - 1999 are the copper/nickel, I think. It is my understanding that the "officials" have been pulling both of these composition nickels from circulation in Canada in the Alloy Recovery Program and there may come a day that these will carry a numismatic value because there are so few left.

On nickels, shiny is good, but more importantly you need to check for full steps on the reverse. Of course, free of dings and scratches too on obverse and reverse.

A fun thing to do is to get a nickel folder or album and try to complete it at face value. I have done that with a 1938 - 1964 album and have gotten all nickels except for one that I still need and all were at face value.

Don't buy your coin wrappers at a store. Ask for wrappers at your bank. I have always been able to get mine for free. Occasionally they are out, just ask next time or try to stock pile a few extra for the times they are out to hold you over until they get them back in.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby ethan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that I am looking for 1950 Ds also.
Next time I go to the bank I'll be sure to ask for some wrappers.
I'm still really curious about the 2006 D off-tone nickel I found. Anyone know what that is?
ethan

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Most banks have some free wrappers they will give you. You can also reuse the wrappers you took your coins out of. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

I found one!

Postby ethan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:35 pm

Ok, so I'm almost half way through my second box of nickels. I open a roll and see this tarnished, that's right, tarnished nickel. A 1942 S!!! In pretty worn condition but not very bad. Letters and numbers easily discernible.
ethan

Re: I found one!

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:14 pm

ethan wrote:Ok, so I'm almost half way through my second box of nickels. I open a roll and see this tarnished, that's right, tarnished nickel. A 1942 S!!! In pretty worn condition but not very bad. Letters and numbers easily discernible.

Sounds like a war nickel to me since my RedBook does not show any pre-war nickel composition nickels coming from the S mint in 1942! Congrats!!!

ENjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby ethan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:43 pm

I'm going a little slow as I'm still on my second box, but I just cracked a pretty good roll. There was a 1940, 1941 and 2009. No silver, though.

Keep up the good hunting out there.
ethan

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins