Excuse me nickel, but have you seen copper?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Excuse me nickel, but have you seen copper?

Postby John_doe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:19 am

Okay so I aquired a certain nickel that had been cut in half, only to find no red stuff. Can someone shed some light as to why I see NO copper in a coin that is supposed to be 75% copper composition.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Re: Excuse me nickel, but have you seen copper?

Postby natsb88 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:38 am

Nickels are made of a consistent alloy of 25% nickel and 75% copper. They are not layered like quarters, dimes, etc. are.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John_doe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:43 am

natsb88 wrote:Nickels are made of a consistent alloy of 25% nickel and 75% copper. They are not layered like quarters, dimes, etc. are.

I see..... Wouldn't the coin have a considerable amount of red tint to it if it was composed of 75% copper? I'm sorry this probably seems like a really dumb thread. I was just unsure as to how they did that.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:54 am

For instance, brass is a copper alloy but you can still tell that there is copper used.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:28 am

John_doe wrote:For instance, brass is a copper alloy but you can still tell that there is copper used.

I don't know the physics of it at the atomic level, but in this alloy the nickel dominates the color, even though only at 25% of the mass. They picked this alloy for a reason...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby didou » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:04 am

You can go up to 84% copper / 16% nickel and it's still silver color only with a very small yellow tint. I think it's the higher you can get to still have a silver color.
If you increase the copper content it never turn red, as 68C said, nickels dominate the color and it turn yellow.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins