CuNi Melting

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

CuNi Melting

Postby jerry278 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Hey all,

As iam sure we all know the current nickels and pennies are being reviewed for composition changes. It had to happen sometime but I think the rate that it did suprised a lot of people. Anyways, If/when the melt ban is lifted and one decided to legally melt down their CuNi how exactly would that work with seperating the two metals. I know that its an alloy, and not a copper core, nickel plate as some have suggested. That being said its seems unlikely that any smelter that you shipped your CuNi too would only take one of the two metals, meaning give you a price for one of the two, copper or nickel. This wouldnt be the end of the world but it would be kind of disheartning knowing that your only get your moneys worth for one of the two. I am not familiar with smelting to begin with, but I could even see it being an inconvience for the smelter to seperate the two metals. perhaps taking of the of the metals from the alloy would be part of their 'fee'. I am still aware that CuNi has 'intrinsic' value (if you can call it that) meaning that it would still hold its value as CuNi intact, but if the ban is lifted its likely some of it will get melted and this would be something to think about. Just curious on everybodys thoughts. Thanks! :)
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Re: CuNi Melting

Postby inflationhawk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Not to answer your question with a question, but aren't there some legitimate uses of cuprinickel? I believe the maritime industry uses cuprinickel as a lining for ships/boats due to its anti-corrosive nature. Is this true? I think the percentage composition is close, but not the same as nickels. I wonder if this is a potential re-use area for nickels that would reduce the need to separate the metals?
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby psi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:41 pm

I think that makes more sense, if anything you would add other metals to give the desired alloy rather than try to separate. I was just reading on WP that marine alloys also contain small amounts of iron and manganese. They mention some marine alloys with 30% nickel and some with around 10%.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby schockergd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 am

Just remember , nickel is a toxic metal and exposure to fumes can cause cancer and a whole host of other nasty ailments.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jasmatk » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:27 pm

copper melts at 1083*C nickel melts at 1455*C I guess you melt and seperate using the temp as way to seperate the metals I melt copper and aluminium at home for casting but nener tried to seperate metals maybe Ill try on some foreign coins :D
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cpthnsolo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:51 pm

If and when we're finally able to melt nickels, you won't have to worry about how it's done or where to send it. Many scrap yards already buy 70/30 Cupronickel so rest assured they'll post buy prices for 75/25 the second they can. I can only imagine the looks I'll get when the day comes that I'm unloading boxes of nickels out of the back of the truck instead of the normal scrap :D.
cpthnsolo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Kurr » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Just a note:

Smelting is what you do to get metal out of ore/rock.

Melting is what you do to alloy or cast once you have smelted it.

Refining is mainly done electrolytic-ly to purify or un-alloy.

Cupro-nickel has many industrial uses just as it is.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Computer Jones » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 pm

It might be easier to use a hammer, make some fishing lures (don't forget to stick a feather on!) then trade/sell for some other good(s) or service(s).
You can do lots of things with metal disks other than melting or electrolysis refinement.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Kurr has the best idea. He beat me to posting it.

Don't melt it down. Use electrolysis to separate the metals. The same can be done with separating pure copper from the "gliding metal" brass cents we call a penny.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:09 am

There are uses for the alloy in ratios close to what is found in the US nickel, it can easily be altered by adding other metals. Or they can be added to larger batches to make navel brass or brass that contain small amounts of nickel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupronickel

With the high price of silver and gold, we might see more German silver for jewelry. -60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

So i envision instead of the coin selling just on the bases of the price of copper or nickel, refiners will have a special category for nickels. There are so many application that use a copper nickel alloy, I see no reason to separate the metals.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Number21 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Kurr has the best idea. He beat me to posting it.

Don't melt it down. Use electrolysis to separate the metals. The same can be done with separating pure copper from the "gliding metal" brass cents we call a penny.

Hmmm...could you remove the copper from all your zinc pennies, and then drop them at the bank? :lol:
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins