What a Deal!

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

What a Deal!

Postby creshka46 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Just a quick story about a deal that made my day:

I live about 2-3 hours from the Canadian border so it's not uncommon to run across canadian money in change or to know people who do business in Canada or whatever. What was suprising was this. I saw an add on Craigslist for $108 in Canadian money and the guy wanted $80 US! Apparently, he no longer has convenient access to Canada since they started requiring a passport so he couldn't do anything with the money. So I jumped on it (I have my passport). I already had a pile of Canadian money from my penny and nickel sorting so I just added this to the pile. And, as a bonus, 16 of the 20 nickels in the lot were pre '82!

I've been wanting to get up to Canada sooner or later (maybe to load up on some pennies) and now I just got my gas one way for free!
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What a Deal!

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:08 am

creshka shoots and SCORES!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:02 pm

So.....you could convert the C$108back to US bux and end up with what, about $113 or so.

Not a bad deal no matter how you slice it.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby creshka46 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Yeah granted that is the exact conversion but can I find a place to exchange it that wouldn't charge some fee? I don't know much about exchanging currency (unless it's FRN's to silver!) Are there places along the border that exchange currency indiscriminantly with no fee?
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:59 pm

creshka46 wrote:Yeah granted that is the exact conversion but can I find a place to exchange it that wouldn't charge some fee? I don't know much about exchanging currency (unless it's FRN's to silver!) Are there places along the border that exchange currency indiscriminantly with no fee?

Offer a Want To Trade for Silver Maples
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins