Canadian 1968 dime

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Canadian 1968 dime

Postby balz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:25 pm

I found a canadian 1968 dime today. If it's not magnetic, does it mean it is 50% silver?

Thanks

P.S. Also found a 1944 canadian dime... with a hole thru the second "A" of "CANADA"1 :shock:

BTW it is REALLY difficult to find any old nickel or dime in Canada. I wonder if maybe the banks keep them for themselves... 10 cents FV 2.50$ value! :D Is it that difficult in the US or it's just Canada?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Re: Canadian 1968 dime

Postby didou » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:37 am

dime 1968 not magnetic it's silver :) grats

Silver dime are in about 1 every box/every other box last time i spend a lot of time on dime. ARP (allow recovery program) actively remove any coins older than 2000 for dime, nickel and quarters, they are disappearing. It's hard to get a lot of CWR to search for them, all box are just new 2000-2011 coins.

There is a George V tracking post you can see how hard it is to find one in circulation : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109

Difficult to find a old nickel/dime in Canada ? depend on what old is for you. and what is really difficult ;)

I search a lot of nickel and find a few George VI nickel here and there, almost every other week, but i don't keep track of them. I search mainly for .999 Ni.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 am

Thank you very much for your reply. Could you tell me more about ARP (allow recovery program)? Does it mean the banks are keeping the old coins or is it the Canadian Mint?

I am mostly looking for old 98% Cu pennies, but I'd like to find old nickels and dime too, as I think thay may be more valuable after SHTF.

However, I am not sure if 1 or 2 per box would make it sufficient for all the trouble! ;)

EDIT: I found some info; it's alloy recovery program and the Canadian Mint makes tons of money buy pulling out OUR precious coins... Damn I hate them!
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby didou » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:23 am

There a lot of post here about ARP, just make a quick search would get you all the info.

Dime searching may worth it depend on how much free time you have and when you intend to sell them, the price of silver could increase enough in the incoming year to make it worth it to have searched for those today.

98% Cu pennies in Canada currently doesn't worth it at all (unlike U.S. citizen who can turn a profit on those immediately), considering the Canada post shipping price. You can't sell them for profit now unless you drive them yourself past the U.S. border and mail them from there. Again it's a bet on the future copper price.

Ca 5 cents .999 nickels on the other hand can be sold for profit right now, considering shipping and everything.

I don't think your way of seeing SHTF is right here, old nickels and dime will be worthless during a crisis. Better buy food, stockpile water and other item if you intend to use it inside the crisis. PM is only a way to store excess wealth (after the base energy/food/water/security has been cover) to recover it after the crisis.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:17 pm

I live in Canada so getting pre-97 98% Cu is not that difficult!

I disagree about what you said about SHTF; I believe people will still need currency to trade whatever goods there is. For thousands of years, gold, silver and copper has been used as currency. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same again.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins