TD Bank Penny Arcade magnet, Canadian nickel

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

TD Bank Penny Arcade magnet, Canadian nickel

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:58 pm

As noted on another older thread, I've been pulling a few coins off the TD Bank counter magnet about every time I do a penny dump. It's an international smorgasbord, with coins from about every country. Of course quite a few Canadians. And the occasional steel war penny.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but just today it all clicked and I realized that most of the Canadian coins I'm pulling off are not the newer steel coins, but are pre-2000 coins, and therefore are .999 Ni. Awesome. :) Since they are "free" to me, even the dimes and quarters make sense to keep just for the nickel. Wish there were a few more of these counters around here - I've only got the one within driving distance.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: TD Bank Penny Arcade magnet, Canadian nickel

Postby NHsorter » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Bummer that you only have one within driving distance! I have about 8 branches that I rotate through. All right along the paths that I normally take to work/shopping/etc. I have a couple of rolls of the .999Ni from the magnet. Got one last night. I also got 5 1943 steelies last night as well. None in good shape and no S mints, but hey they were free! I have had a couple other steels randomly, but 5 at once was a big score. It made me wonder how many wheats got pumped into the machine that day. Oh, a VDB maybe? I'll never know, the all refuse to sell me bags.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:34 pm

NHsorter wrote:Bummer that you only have one within driving distance! I have about 8 branches that I rotate through. All right along the paths that I normally take to work/shopping/etc. I have a couple of rolls of the .999Ni from the magnet. Got one last night. I also got 5 1943 steelies last night as well. None in good shape and no S mints, but hey they were free! I have had a couple other steels randomly, but 5 at once was a big score. It made me wonder how many wheats got pumped into the machine that day. Oh, a VDB maybe? I'll never know, the all refuse to sell me bags.

Well, there are actually two other branches at the outer edges of driving distance, but I was disappointed when I visited as they both had some ancient older counter that is slow as can be, and has no accessible magnet. (All the TD's here are takeovers, from several different heritages, and I presume these either had these in place already, or just got hand-me-downs because they were smaller branches.) Maybe they will eventually get new counters.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby texcollex » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:23 pm

NHsorter wrote:Bummer that you only have one within driving distance! I have about 8 branches that I rotate through. All right along the paths that I normally take to work/shopping/etc. I have a couple of rolls of the .999Ni from the magnet. Got one last night. I also got 5 1943 steelies last night as well. None in good shape and no S mints, but hey they were free! I have had a couple other steels randomly, but 5 at once was a big score. It made me wonder how many wheats got pumped into the machine that day. Oh, a VDB maybe? I'll never know, the all refuse to sell me bags.

I asked the manager of a TD bank if I could buy from their machine and she explained to me that they have to send in the coin in the exact amount as the machine counts it. I'll have to go back and run some coins through their machine and see if there is a magnet I can check.

Tex
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins