Question about 1960's era nickels

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Question about 1960's era nickels

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Was the alloy used for 1960's era nickels softer than other years? I have yet to find any good amount of nickels from the 1962 to 1970 era that have full steps even if the coin looks brilliant and nearly scratch free. You would figure with all the nickels they put out in 1964 that even for that year there would be numerous high quality full-step ones circulating. Was the changeover from silver to clad responsible for people using more nickels and keeping dimes, quarters, halves out of circulation and hence adding more wear to the nickels? I am pretty sure I asked this question before here but forgot the answer. Today I found a 1963 nickel that looks near flawless without any scractches -ie- sharp detail, but the steps are smooth and it is bizarre. I seldom keep any 1960's era nickel consequently. In contrast, I find the occasional nickel from the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's that have full steps and is in AU condition.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Question about 1960's era nickels

Postby fb101 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:24 pm

I don't believe the composition changed since the war years went away.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mercuryman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Cupro nickel, only changed during the war.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Maybe the dies were just dull or the strikes were weaker for whatever reason...

Just look at the peace dollars for an example of a 'weak' strike :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:40 am

When the changeover was occurring from silver to clad coinage, the Mint banged out 1964 dated nickels by the billions. They were needed since silver dimes and quarters were being pulled out of circulation at a frenetic pace.

I've also noticed that some of the nickels from that era are in remarkably good shape. I attribute this to a stronger a deeper rim. It protects the integrity of the coins' design from contact more so than a completely flat coin. Run a fingernail one the inside or the rim on a 64 Jeff. You can feel it.

You mentioned about full steps. The 1964s were produced in such quantity I believe they used the dies far beyond their useful life. That's why if you have or find a legitimately full step 1964 nickel, you'll be well rewarded for your find. More have the steps showing just as a single blob. Even a couple steps are somewhat scarce.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins