Making a Transition

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Making a Transition

Postby Bartender » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:47 am

Hello all,
I've been a long time lurker/reader for about 4 years now and have been sorting for Cu for about as long.
This past month I moved to Michigan and now I'm looking to get my hands on some Canadian nickels. In
the future I wouldn't be opposed to buying them in lots, but I would like to get some unsorted boxes to sort
thru at first..just to say I've done it. Any thoughts or know anyone willing to sell some unsorted bricks? And just
FYI, I don't have a passport or passport card, so coming into Canada isn't an option (yet). Thanks guys and I
look forward to becoming a contributor instead of a stalker from now on! :lol:
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenagers." - P.J. O'Rourke
Bartender
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Making a Transition

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:25 pm

I would stick with the US cents Canada has a alloy recovery program and pulls the .999 out.So the odds of wild .999 are going down See http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6381&hilit=+canadian I would try buying $500 boxes of US half and go for the .9 and .4 silver better odds and at no extra cost to you. Also if you find a coin count in a bank lobby some of them have a magnet you can pull free Canadian .999 off of it! :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtalbot_ca » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi there,

Before you consider buying unsorted bricks, you should know that, in my part of the ''canadian'' wood, I am lucky if I get 20% .999 nickel.

Bye,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mhh » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Now that you live in Michigan, you can get an enhanced driver's license. It's just as good as a passport for crossing the border by car.
mhh

Postby didou » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Like henrysmedford said, Nickel bricks just doesn't exist where i am, since the ARP program, they all contain new 5 cents. No point in buying them or sort them.
I have to ask for a few CWR rolls here and there to get some nickels to sort. Sorting them is the easy part, finding unsorted CWR to fill a box is the hard part, i would never sold them unsorted at face value. And if you account for the high shipping cost in Canada i don't think you will like the price of unsorted box i can reasonably offer.

I think you should reconsider and buy them already sorted only .999 Ni.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:44 pm

I sell 60 lbs lots of .999 Canadian nickel for $12/lbs shipped to a US address.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Bartender » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Ok, I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

Nickelmeister - do you sell any smaller lots? I'm still in college so I'm having to build my stash on a fairly slim budget :oops:
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenagers." - P.J. O'Rourke
Bartender
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:39 pm

Bartender wrote:Ok, I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

Nickelmeister - do you sell any smaller lots? I'm still in college so I'm having to build my stash on a fairly slim budget :oops:

I'm in the same boat, but love to buy Canadian nickel when I get the chance. If there is any way you could do an 5-10 pound lot, I would be willing to pay a little more per pound. If not, I'll have to save my American nickels until I have enough! :)
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:15 am

Nickelmeister wrote:I sell 60 lbs lots of .999 Canadian nickel for $12/lbs shipped to a US address.

$60 = how much in face value +/- ?
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby PennyBoy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:16 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Bartender wrote:Ok, I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat, but love to buy Canadian nickel when I get the chance. If there is any way you could do an 5-10 pound lot, I would be willing to pay a little more per pound. If not, I'll have to save my American nickels until I have enough! :)

Group buy?
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:36 am

PennyBoy wrote:
Nickelmeister wrote:I sell 60 lbs lots of .999 Canadian nickel for $12/lbs shipped to a US address.

60 lbs is $300 face. Canadian nickels are conveniently (and not accidentally) minted at exactly 100/pound. I won't ship smaller lots sorry. As is it, I only ship when it's convenient for me to get down to the US and I need to do big volume to make it worthwhile. If you want smaller amounts, I suggest the Copper Cave.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:54 pm

get bricks of nicks where youre at! I find .999 canadians occasionally and im all the way down in louisiana,I bet theres more canadian up there-plus you can look for war nickels-I average 1 per box...and occasional buffalos and v nickels.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Bartender » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Coppercrazy wrote:get bricks of nicks where youre at! I find .999 canadians occasionally and im all the way down in louisiana,I bet theres more canadian up there-plus you can look for war nickels-I average 1 per box...and occasional buffalos and v nickels.

That would probably be a good idea, but the only thing is I don't sort my US nickels when I get them. I just take and store them to sort later if/when a market develops. The only ones I ever look at are ones I get in change
Bartender
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Nickelmeister wrote:
PennyBoy wrote:

60 lbs is $300 face. Canadian nickels are conveniently (and not accidentally) minted at exactly 100/pound. I won't ship smaller lots sorry. As is it, I only ship when it's convenient for me to get down to the US and I need to do big volume to make it worthwhile. If you want smaller amounts, I suggest the Copper Cave.

That's cool that it sets up as $5 face/lb. I didn't know that. All of the Canadian nickel I've got is from Copper Cave - great place to buy.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Coppercrazy wrote:get bricks of nicks where youre at! I find .999 canadians occasionally and im all the way down in louisiana,I bet theres more canadian up there-plus you can look for war nickels-I average 1 per box...and occasional buffalos and v nickels.

I haven't upgraded to a full brick of nicks yet, but I think I will in the near future. Right now, I just pick up a couple rolls every time I'm at the bank. It adds up over time, but I'd like to do a little more. This brings up an interesting question: would I rather have $720 face in random US cupro-nicks or $300 face in .999 Canadians?
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Hawkeye wrote:

I haven't upgraded to a full brick of nicks yet, but I think I will in the near future. Right now, I just pick up a couple rolls every time I'm at the bank. It adds up over time, but I'd like to do a little more. This brings up an interesting question: would I rather have $720 face in random US cupro-nicks or $300 face in .999 Canadians?

Canadian $300 =6000, 5 cents @.0941304 Each = $564.74
Canada.jpg
Canada.jpg (31.8 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

From http://www.coinflation.com/unitedstates/ And http://www.coinflation.com/canada/

$720 US = 14,400, 5 cents @ .0592748 Each = $853.55
US.jpg
US.jpg (36.4 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz007.jpg
Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz007.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:47 pm

henrysmedford wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:

Canada.jpg

From http://www.coinflation.com/unitedstates/ And http://www.coinflation.com/canada/

US.jpg

Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz007.jpg

And we have a winner! That is awesome. It would be nice to have enough money to just stack and hoard everything. :shock:
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby didou » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:56 am

henrysmedford wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:

/quote]

Very interesting answer, according to this isn't really worth it to sell Canadian nickels to the U.S.
But coinflation give the full melting price, without the added cost to separate nickel and copper.
Since Canadian .999 nickels are pure, they will probably sell much closer to their real melt price than U.S. nickels, scrap yard will one day only buy them at a fraction of their real melt value. I guess it depend if you stack them with the intend of melting them or selling them when the market for those open. Buyer may want something that worth more when melted even if they never will melt it and sell it to other investor. The possibility of melting them at higher price may be a important factor of the resell price.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:26 am

I'd be interested in selling smaller lots at the right price but shipping is an issue.
(It would probably be an amount per lb for anything up to X lbs that can go in a
flat rate box plus the cost of shipping said flat rate box. Pricing to depend on the
value of nickel at that time. ^_-)

Also like Nickelmeister I'd have to get to the U.S. to bring shipping to a practical
rate with flat rate boxes. (The shipping rate Canada Post would charge for such
heavy packages would be ginormous! $_$) So I'd have to be going to the U.S.
for some other reason and just adding this to my "things to do" on the trip.
Unfortunately that isn't happening any time soon. Next time a trip is in sight
I'll post an offer on the board, so keep some cash handy as there will be a
limited lead time when the opportunity comes up. Or maybe someone else in
a similar situation will step forward when they get the chance to pop south.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:29 am

Thanks- I would be interested in that. I'll try to keep an eye on the board. Now- about "keeping some cash handy." Does that mean I can't spend every extra dime I get hunting silver on ebay? I do not understand this concept. :D
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:14 am

Hawkeye wrote: Does that mean I can't spend every extra dime I get hunting silver on ebay? I do not understand this concept. :D

You too? But the growing stack of silver sure looks nice when the packages start arriving in the mail. :D
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins