Post your hobo nickel pics and questions here.

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Re: Hobo Nickel that I made at work today.

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Just finished up "the great elephant".

Not to bad for the second hobo nick. Feal like I am getting a little better ;)

This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Hobo Nickel that I made at work today.

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:28 pm

blackrabbit wrote:There is a rich benefactor to the hobo nickel art world who buys thousands of bucks worth each month, at least. That is the dude who is buying yours. For those who wish to become a successful paid artist, you can make hobo nickels using a dremel, hand gravers, punches, chasing tools, hammer and nails, whatever! Gravers give the best control and detail in my experience. If you have questions I would be happy to answer them. I have carved over 50 of them, but I am still a beginner. Check out the Original Hobo Nickel Society website to be impressed beyond belief.

Heck yeah, spill the beans on those gravers and post some pics of your nicks :D
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Made another hobo nickel at work..2nd page pics.

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:19 am

Wow you are a natural! Great elephant! I bet it will sell too. You are already a better carver than me on hobo number two! Hand gravers will allow you to do finer detail work, you can buy them used on fee-bay but don't pay more than 5 bucks each. You need a graver jig and a good sharpening stone to keep them sharp. They come in different styles for different effects and I am still attempting to master them. Just pick up a couple and practice with them, you can always resell them right back on e-bay if you find you don't like any particular style. I will find a picture of a nickel that I carved and post it up. I can't wait to see your future carvings.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:35 am

How do you post photos ?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:08 am

I got a bid!
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:37 am

Time to quit your day job.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:50 am

Rodebaugh wrote:I got a bid!

Awesome! You have talent!!! :D

Can't wait to see more.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:14 pm

I think I got the image thing down. Here is a Wabbit I hacked out of a modern nickel. I only got about 20 bucks selling it. :cry: Someday I will get 100 for one of my carvings, but by then I will be storing my Federal Reserve notes next to the toilet within easy reach. However, I just do it for fun and am happy that I have made enough to pay for my tools. You should try to do one a week. That would be more than an extra 5 grand a year for metal hoarding! :P I am selling a couple others on E-bay right now, a skull and a cowboy. My name/handle there is ottokane.
Attachments
IMG_4418.jpg
IMG_4418.jpg (177 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:26 pm

I think it looks awasome! It should have brought more than $20.

I have got to get some gravers. What do you think of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

What would be a fair price for them?
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:19 pm

I personly like ones with shorter blades, but I have some that style and they work well. They look like they are in good condition. I would say no more than 35 bucks including the shipping. Ask if they have makers marks on them, the ones that do are generally higher quality and worth more.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:34 am

blackrabbit wrote:I think I got the image thing down. Here is a Wabbit I hacked out of a modern nickel. I only got about 20 bucks selling it. :cry: Someday I will get 100 for one of my carvings, but by then I will be storing my Federal Reserve notes next to the toilet within easy reach. However, I just do it for fun and am happy that I have made enough to pay for my tools. You should try to do one a week. That would be more than an extra 5 grand a year for metal hoarding! :P I am selling a couple others on E-bay right now, a skull and a cowboy. My name/handle there is ottokane.

Blackrabbit.......cool nickel! I have to ask...Did you carve it on an American Bison or Ocean in View nickel?

Can't wait to see more nickels from Rodebaugh and blackrabbit.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:17 pm

I carved the rabbit on an american Bison nickel. That version seems perfect for modern hobo nickels! However, for the market, carving on the original buffalos from the thirties brings the most interest and money. Here are two coins I have for sale on feebay right now. I liked killing the fascist Franco!
Attachments
IMG_5159.JPG
IMG_5159.JPG (93.17 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
IMG_5166.jpg
IMG_5166.jpg (24.87 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:40 pm

How much time does it take you guys to make one of these nickels? Very nice work!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Just finished up "birdie".

3rd hobo nick.

Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Post your hobo nickel pics and questions here.

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:34 pm

Wow you are a natural! You have a unique style with that drill, its really cool!
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:59 pm

I love your elephant! :!:
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:04 pm

My Skulled up Franco coin sold for 40 bucks! I am quite pleased with that as skulls are pretty quick for me to bust one out. I like that I can take junk coins that are rather worthless and turn them into numismatic art that is now treasure for someone. Who is the next world historical figure that I will assassinate? Gotta look through my world coin bag.

Oh yea here is a lizard I have up on feebay now, hot feet!
Attachments
IMG_5218.jpg
IMG_5218.jpg (148.12 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:46 pm

BR, congrats on the skull sale. I do however like hot feet much better. :P
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:15 am

Love the lizard!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Here is a little piece I hacked out which shows the true nature of rule by international bankers/financiers. :twisted: I hope you like it. I got it up on e-bay right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320599764701&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1156
Attachments
IMG_5279.jpg
IMG_5279.jpg (110.47 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Thought I'd show you a couple more carvings I did that I have up on Feebay right now. I bought A power honer so can now actually keep good sharp tools. Hope you enjoy.
Attachments
IMG_5391.JPG
IMG_5391.JPG (55.61 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
IMG_5390.jpg
IMG_5390.jpg (55.4 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:40 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Thought I'd show you a couple more carvings I did that I have up on Feebay right now. I bought A power honer so can now actually keep good sharp tools. Hope you enjoy.

Hi blackrabbit- You and rodebaugh really have me interested in hobos. What exactly is a power honer? Are you using old watch gravers as your carving tools? If not, what type of tools are you using. Great looking work you guys have been posting! Keep up the good work! thanks! :D Twenty
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Slow last week at times .......so I found Nemo
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Devil Soundwave » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Holy cow! $100 for a single coin? How long did it take? I have to dig out the Dremel and try this - I think I have a nickel in my foreign coins bag... I have no talent though beyond paint. :lol:

Did the guy pay already? His bid history shows he bids on artwork, scrimshaw and nickels, so I guess he's the real deal!
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:28 am

blackrabbit wrote:Who is the next world historical figure that I will assassinate?

Zombie Queen Elizabeth 2! :D
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

PreviousNext

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins