Recent World Coin Lot Surprise

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Recent World Coin Lot Surprise

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:19 pm

I recently won an auction on feebay for some world coins. It cost me like $21 + shipping for about 3lbs. I thought I saw some neat coins so I said what the heck. The one thing that caught my eye....but then....didn't catch my eye...was the 3 sets of coins placed on something red. To my surprise, when I opened up the package I soon realized what this was? It must have been a school project for some kid. The coins were glued to red felt paper. And, on top of that, they were coated with some type of clear coat finish. When I saw this....WTF....but soon enough I looked at these coins a little harder. One kinda caught my attention. Then another....and another....then one more! The first was a 1944 1 rupee! Then there was the 1/2 rupee! Next was the 1/4 rupee. And last, for now, was an Egyptian coin. It has 6 sides...SILVER! I scored 4 silvers from this group glued to the red felt!

Now for the rest of the coins. It has been slow for me to learn so many coins so fast. But I was able to spot a couple more silvers. A 1961 canadian quarter, a 1960 canadian dime, a 1968 50% canadian dime, and 2 other foreign silver coins. There was no mention of silver in the ad.

I think the rupees might be heading for next weeks KSA's. I had to soak the coins over night in some soapy water after prying them from their red felt nightmare! I wasn't able to get the bigger 1 rupee cleaned off as much as I wanted!

I have a couple of Mexican silvers in there, too. I'll report on that later when I sure of what I have.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Recent World Coin Lot Surprise

Postby dakota1955 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Guess I'm going have to start hunting those auctions also.
dakota1955

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:16 pm

1946...6 pence....Silver!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Z00 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:37 pm

I know it is verbotten to clean coins but sometimes you have to before you find out what you have.
A while back I got one in a world batch that was so gunky it just HAD to be cleaned.
VOILA! up popped a 1927 GB 6 pence.
No biggie but even a small pc of silver is nice.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:00 am

Nice score! I've always wondered about those type of auctions - I'll have to take a closer look at them.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Z00 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:16 am

Watch out for the ones that say "no tokens Canada or US" How do they know if they haven't searched them themselves? LOL
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:36 am

Z00 wrote:I know it is verbotten to clean coins but sometimes you have to before you find out what you have.

Mineral spirits (paint thinner) seems to do a good job of eating off the gunk without destroying the patina. Acetone is a bit more toxic, but will eat up some of the stuff mineral spirits miss.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:31 am

Nice score on those silver coins. I often wonder how much silver is those big batches of foreign coins I see on eBay. In a smaller size lot of 41 coins I picked up recently on eBay there was one very worn George V Canadian dime. No date on it so I can't tell if it is 80% or 92.5% silver but it's still a 2.3g silver coin. Not so sure that finding small amounts of silver can always be expected though.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Z00 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:40 am

Finding silver in those lots is very rare. I am always pleasantly surprised when one shows up.

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins