How to tell difference between nickel and steel?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

How to tell difference between nickel and steel?

Postby ZenOps » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:36 pm

I got to thinking, there are a few silver and gold fakes out there.

If Nickel ever got back to the price level where one pound of nickel could buy two barrels of oil (1970) how would I be able to tell a pure Canadian nickel coin apart from a Steel cored one?

They both are magnetic, they both are coated with nickel, so any surface nickel test will always show up as being pure nickel. They both "thud" sound and do not ring (the cupronickels will ring) Other than the weight difference I can't find a quick test that would distinguish the two.

Or am I being paranoid enough to think that nickel will be worth enough that people will counterfeit it.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Re: How to tell difference between nickel and steel?

Postby uthminsta » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Seems like it would need to be worth more in order to wanna counterfeit. As in, the counterfeit source material plus "minting" costs would be too high... how much would it have to go up for that to be worthwhile?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Weight and sound are quite different. Also counter-fitters don't have the plating technology (it involves a lot of equipment - I saw it in Winnipeg).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby ZenOps » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Britain is having a small crisis with counterfeit cuprozinc pound coins.

http://www.royalmint.com/Corporate/fact ... Coins.aspx

Officially at 2.94% counterfeit rate, but estimates in the real world are about 1 in 20 (5%) which in real numbers, could top 100 million fake pound coins soon.

I blame the low 5.5% nickel and high zinc content. Its actually quite difficult to mimic a 25% cupronickel.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby cupronickel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Weight would different, if it's the same size.
Size would be different, if it's the correct weight.
I have some fake Morgan dollars and some are too thick but weigh correctly.
And some are the correct size (circumference and thickness), but are underweight.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:12 pm

ZenOps wrote:Britain is having a small crisis with counterfeit cuprozinc pound coins. http://www.royalmint.com/Corporate/fact ... Coins.aspx Officially at 2.94% counterfeit rate, but estimates in the real world are about 1 in 20 (5%) which in real numbers, could top 100 million fake pound coins soon. I blame the low 5.5% nickel and high zinc content. Its actually quite difficult to mimic a 25% cupronickel.

I finally found my first one. It's a 1996 but the reverse is from 1987 or 1992 - the oak tree. Can you spot it with these real 1996's?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins