Nickel stat

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nickel stat

Postby reddirtcoins » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Well, so I have been sorting nickels for about 7 months now and here is a good stat, that is if you are wondering. This is when I hit $10 of war nickels

$.15 Liberty
$1.85 buffalo
$10 of war nickels
$94.30 of pre 60's nickels.

Sorry, I never thought about keeping tabs on boxes but I easily do 2 boxes a week.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Nickel stat

Postby PADFH » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:46 pm

That's a decent ratio of War Nicks to pre 1960s. I haven't found too many war nicks but that gives me hope. I've been finding one roll of pre 1960s in two bank boxes.

Do you mostly search bank boxes or CWRs?
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:39 pm

99% brinks boxes... seems hard to get CWR..
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Elcid69 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Up to now I've only been sorting CU, 10 boxes a week from my small town bank, they order them from the Fed. each week to be picked up each Wed. I have a dump bank about 20 miles away where I work. They have a counting machine & take all I have loose & deposit into my acct. The small host bank has been "begging" me to take their CWR's of nickels and other silver. I don't want to run them through my reydale. How are you sorting them , what years are you looking for and how much is the return? Any info you can share I'd appreciate. Thank you, from the Dark Corner of S>C>
Where moonshine rules and trespassers will be shot!
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:49 pm

I just hand sort my nickels (2-4 boxes at a time) and keep all of the pre 60's. Everthing else I toss unless I find something of interest.
About $1.75 for the war nickels but I hoard the pre 60's, buffs and Liberty's so I have no clue.
Dimes I run through the ryedale and it is a hard life pulling silver there but I get some. All of that I hoard.
You know, I have swapped up on coins but come to think about it I have never really sold anything just for the cash. I did sell pennies so I could pay for the ryedale but, I didn't see that as selling. I put the money back into the bank to get more coins.
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins