Hoarding Cupronickel??

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Hoarding Cupronickel??

Postby Cu Lung » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Is anyone out there hoarding 1982-1999 canadian nickels for bullion? The 75% copper and 25% nickel seems like a good investment when thinking metal content, though the equal 5 cent value at today's date is not. For copper at 3.88/lb. and nickel hovering at roughly 8.75/lb it seems it might take a very long time for 10-12/lb Cu and 25/lb nickel to make it worth the wait.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Cu Lung
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Hoarding Cupronickel??

Postby barrytrot » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:43 pm

I definitely am. Although it's hard to come by, so I have about 1% as much as I want :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Lung » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:53 pm

barrytrot wrote:I definitely am. Although it's hard to come by, so I have about 1% as much as I want :)

Will a Ryedale sort the cupronickel from a steel? I think it would, will have to try it when I get the machine.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Cu Lung
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:29 am

Cu Lung wrote:
barrytrot wrote:I definitely am. Although it's hard to come by, so I have about 1% as much as I want :)

Will a Ryedale sort the cupronickel from a steel? I think it would, will have to try it when I get the machine.

Of course. You need to do a couple passes though - sort out the steel first (highest percentage) Next sort out the CuNi and remove the US nickels manually. Double check the pure Ni for oddities. You're done.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby ZenOps » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:56 am

Absolutely.

I see any nickel pure or 25% as a piece of metal that is about the same as a quarter but costing 5x less to acquire. You can exchange one quarter and probably get a pure nickel of near same weight and a 25% pretty easily right now. With a little bit of effort you can keep on exchanging them to get 5 pure nickel nickels, which may have costed you a Iron quarter. Heck, if this was the early 1960s, I'd be doing the opposite - trading 5 nickels for one silver quarter.

I won't keep most of the 1968 to 1999 Canadian pure dimes or quarters. There is no reason to while you can still get pure and 25% nickels. There is no numismatic value to most of those either, with the possible exception of a set of 1992 and 1999 quarters. I'd much rather have four 25% nickels and one pure nickel than one pure quarter. US non silver dimes and quarters all go back.

I will ask for 15.62 gram nickel "Voyageur" dollars and spend them on lottery tickets though :P

Edit: I will not actively sort them, but if I do find a non-magnetic 2006 nickel I will send them back. I'm not totally convinced they are 25% nickel 75% copper. And they have the "granny head" of the queen which is now ingrained im my head as being less valuable.

Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby PMLurker » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:02 pm

JadeDragon wrote:
Cu Lung wrote:

Of course. You need to do a couple passes though - sort out the steel first (highest percentage) Next sort out the CuNi and remove the US nickels manually. Double check the pure Ni for oddities. You're done.

Save the wear and tear on your sorter and use a rare earth magnet to pull the .999 nickels out .
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins