hobo for fun

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

hobo for fun

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu May 31, 2012 8:44 pm

engraver friend of mine dinking around. ;)

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: hobo for fun

Postby NHsorter » Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 pm

Nice work, I love these.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Relectrocycle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:23 am

Cool!
Relectrocycle

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:48 am

Can someone post a picture or a link to the tools used to make these? I whipped out my dremel and a nice fine bit, but all I ended up doing was butchering a nickel.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:30 am

Just (bing) look under "gun engraving tools".. or "hand engraving"..
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 am

Did he use an air powered engraver, or just a regular graver? I just spent a few minutes on youtube and wikipedia and I am intrigued. Guess I should get back to work though. Learning about engraving is not gonna pay the bills right now.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:41 am

only done by hand. No power type tools.
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby deacon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:13 pm

That's a sweet hobo.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:15 pm

Cool! I love hobo nickels! I taught myself to carve them over the last couple years in my spare time. Good therapy, and makes you money too!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Numis Pam » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:13 am

This is so neet!!! Is there an average price that these tend to sell for??
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:24 am

reddirtcoins wrote:engraver friend of mine dinking around. ;)

What would he sell a few of these for??
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:34 am

On e-bay that type usually go for in the mid 20's, but you never know because I often see them go a lot higher. Last fall the market was super hot but then a bunch of engravers jumped into the market so it has come down some. Mine usually sell for between 20-40 dollars. The highest I got was 80, but I heard of a crazy dentist that got over 100 for a couple he busted out last year. You are not going to get rich, unless you are an extremely talented artist. There is one guy who probably makes 1000 a week selling 2 or 3 hobo nickel carvings. His stuff is pretty incredible though.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Numis Pam » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:17 pm

blackrabbit wrote:On e-bay that type usually go for in the mid 20's, but you never know because I often see them go a lot higher. Last fall the market was super hot but then a bunch of engravers jumped into the market so it has come down some. Mine usually sell for between 20-40 dollars. The highest I got was 80, but I heard of a crazy dentist that got over 100 for a couple he busted out last year. You are not going to get rich, unless you are an extremely talented artist. There is one guy who probably makes 1000 a week selling 2 or 3 hobo nickel carvings. His stuff is pretty incredible though.

Thanks for sharing this info..... very interesting for sure. I am goingto start checking them out on ebay etc....
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins