Nickel fundraising help

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nickel fundraising help

Postby FatherRosado » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:33 am

Hello all,
thanks for all the help and advice lately. I need to know if fundraising with Nickels will work. Will people be interested in buying boxes of nickels at above face value. The banks are friendly to us so I'm sure I can get some boxes. How much should they sell for? How much does it cost to ship them? Will this work? We need to raise a little over $12,000 and this is one of the unconventional fundraising ideas I've come up with.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Nickel fundraising help

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:00 pm

i dont see this idea working

most folks who would have any interest at all in hoarding nickels would know they can go to the bank and get their own for face
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:19 pm

If you pull out the pre-1960 nickels, you could probably sell them for a premium...but I agree with the others that sorting through coins isn't going to net you a quick 12K. If it was that easy, people would be quitting their jobs to search through coins.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:09 pm

A bank or credit union will sell you a box for $100.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:10 pm

I picked up a couple dozen Canadian nickels at face value at my LCS today.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:20 am

aloneibreak wrote:i dont see this idea working

most folks who would have any interest at all in hoarding nickels would know they can go to the bank and get their own for face

You'd think so, but the Portland mint and at least one other place I saw sell them for significantly higher than face value. Not sure how many people actually buy them, but they probably wouldn't be selling if no one ever bought...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:40 am

scyther wrote:You'd think so, but the Portland mint and at least one other place I saw sell them for significantly higher than face value. Not sure how many people actually buy them, but they probably wouldn't be selling if no one ever bought...

True, but the rules are different when you sell by the ton rather than the box. Time is money, and when you're buying massive quantities it can make sense to let a professional handle the job.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:03 am

Engineer wrote:
scyther wrote:You'd think so, but the Portland mint and at least one other place I saw sell them for significantly higher than face value. Not sure how many people actually buy them, but they probably wouldn't be selling if no one ever bought...

True, but the rules are different when you sell by the ton rather than the box. Time is money, and when you're buying massive quantities it can make sense to let a professional handle the job.

True. They do sell them individually, but maybe people only buy them in bulk...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins