What's your take on Nickel?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

What's your take on Nickel?

Postby 999Ni » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Hey guys! New member here. :D Love this forum, long-time lurker.

I used to stack silver, but had to sell my stash for large bills due. :cry:

I've taken an interest lately in nickel. This metal appears to have decent upside potential, given basic fundamentals (China demand etc.). Having spiked to nearly $25/lb. in 2007, now seems like a good time to get in at only $10/lb. I've been ordering Canadian .999 Ni from Copper Cave and building a small stash.

It's hard to find much conversation about people hoarding .999Ni on the net. I've found a little though. I think it's just under the radar now and that's always a good time to buy. But I was wondering what you guys thought about this effort as of now. Do you hoard Ni? Why do you think it is a viable investment? What do you think will happen eventually?

Glad I signed up here, love base metals. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Re: What's your take on Nickel?

Postby 97guns » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:13 pm

im a silver/gold stacker too just introduced to hording nickels and pennies. i do like the idea of the .999 canadians, can i do better than $14 a pound
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby 999Ni » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:22 pm

Hey, there's a member here named FasTT i think his name is. He was selling them at a good price few months ago. Check with him. ;)
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasTT » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:49 am

Still selling them here in $250 FV + quantities at $11 per pound delivered.
Send me an email if you are looking.
daniel@coincanada.ca
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dpwozney » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:10 am

999Ni wrote:Why do you think it is a viable investment?

In the present fiat money system, all money is associated with debt, and debt is associated with unpayable interest on the debt.

However, pure nickel coins, valued by intrinsic metal content, are a type of money that can exist without debt. Money without debt exists in the form of coins valued by instrinsic metal content.

One disadvantage with gold as a monetary standard is that it is too high-value for small-change circulation coin, unless very-low-percentage-gold alloys are used. The smallest unit of value typically available in coin form for gold (say, for example, 1/10th of an ounce) is generally too high for purchasing many lower-value items and definitely too high for making change. Nickel, as a monetary standard, does not have this problem.

Some people prefer purity, and pure gold and pure silver are too soft for coins that circulate. Unlike pure gold coins and pure silver coins, pure nickel coins are hard enough for mass circulation.

999Ni wrote: What do you think will happen eventually?

If the stated value, of “Federal” Reserve notes, declines enough with respect to the market value of copper and nickel , the 1946-2010 U.S. Mint nickels, composed of cupronickel alloy, could become somewhat rare in mass circulation.

Alternatively, U.S. Mint zinc and copper pennies and cupronickel nickels could act as an effective restraint on inflation.
“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Haggai 2:8)
dpwozney
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 999Ni » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks dpwozney. I agree about the gold thing for sure.

As far as US nickels 75/25, I was gonna wait to hoard them until A) dollar crashes as you said or B) US mint changes composition to steel or something. For now I'll just keep the pre-1960 Jeffs.
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby dpwozney » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:16 pm

999Ni wrote:As far as US nickels 75/25, I was gonna wait to hoard them until A) dollar crashes as you said or B) US mint changes composition to steel or something. For now I'll just keep the pre-1960 Jeffs.

I keep all U.S. Mint cupronickel nickels, which are about 1.25% of the nickels in circulation around here. I keep all RCM cupronickel nickels as long as possible until I need the money for something else.
Last edited by dpwozney on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Haggai 2:8)
dpwozney
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Ardent Listener » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:19 pm

U.S. nickels are a good place to park money as a cash reserve but as far as growth potential precious metals should continue to out-pace nickel.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby jasmatk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:44 pm

anyone buying nickel bullion rounds ive seen some 1 oz rounds selling on ebay and the price is pretty high i buy a few copper rounds now and again and pay a premium but the nickel rounds just seems to high.any opinions :?: as far as my take on it i keep all nickels i get like someone said its a good place to park money if it goes up great if not oh well
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 999Ni » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:30 pm

jasmatk wrote:anyone buying nickel bullion rounds ive seen some 1 oz rounds selling on ebay and the price is pretty high i buy a few copper rounds now and again and pay a premium but the nickel rounds just seems to high.any opinions :?:

$8/oz. for nickel bullion is crazy IMO. Buy pre-82 Canadian nickels.... 999 pure Ni :ugeek:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tommybee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:30 am

I stack US nickels. I presently have 15 boxes ($1500 face value). I see the nickel as real money. I also agree that in a SHTF scenario trying to purchase things with gold and silver may be difficult. Small transactions would go more smoothly with nickels and pre-1982 pennies. (I have a five gallon pail full of those.)

I'm hoarding nickels and pre-1982 cents because: 1. It is fun. 2. A way to diversify my metal holdings 3. They are both worth more than their face values in metal 4. They anchor my safe.
Tommybee

Postby 999Ni » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:21 pm

#4 :lol:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:36 am

4. They anchor my safe.[/quote]

Great Idea! lol I just purchased a huge safe and was wondering if I needed to anchor it....I bet this would solve the issue!

Tommybee wrote:I stack US nickels. I presently have 15 boxes ($1500 face value). I see the nickel as real money. I also agree that in a SHTF scenario trying to purchase things with gold and silver may be difficult. Small transactions would go more smoothly with nickels and pre-1982 pennies. (I have a five gallon pail full of those.)

I'm hoarding nickels and pre-1982 cents because: 1. It is fun. 2. A way to diversify my metal holdings 3. They are both worth more than their face values in metal 4. They anchor my safe.
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:01 pm

I was looking at the KITCO chart for Nickel 5 years. In 2006 Nickel spiked to 24 dollars / pound. Did a mine shut down? Does anyone know the history on this?

Postby biglouddrunk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:59 am

I don't know the story like a nickel commodity trader might, but I do have a theory. A metal like copper tells you about both industrial growth and consumer usage because when factories grow they need copper and when consumer buy good they need copper (especially now in the electronic age). Nickel on the other hand is more about industrial growth than consumer goods. Anything made out stainless steel has nickel in it. Although consumers buy goods made of stainless I bet most stainless goes into making industrial machines and construction materials. 2004-06 were some of the biggest years for companies to outsource there manufacturing overseas. One thing that most people don't know is the Chinese government does not allow companies to import used equipment thus when a factory moves from America to china they don't just pack up there machines and ship them over they scrap there machines in the state and buy new ones for there Chinese factory. Thus this caused a surge in nickel. I think the manufacturing environment overseas is recovering fast and I believe 2011 will be the year of nickel.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:03 pm

I've been a fan of Ni and Cu for several years. I make several trips to Canada each year, but my access to the pure stuff is getting much more limited. I presume everyone else is having the same difficulty. Often wondered about the isolated towns, etc., near the Arctic Circle whether the same money circulates around and around there. I know that many are served by weekly inbound and outbound flights when weather permits, but I'd like to spend a little time in the more accessible bank vaults of Yellowknife or Whitehorse just to poke around.

As the value of the US buck continues to slide, I keep looking for recognized sources of intrinsic wealth. We're all going to need whatever we can find......and stash for now.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:15 pm

Guest wrote:I was looking at the KITCO chart for Nickel 5 years. In 2006 Nickel spiked to 24 dollars / pound. Did a mine shut down? Does anyone know the history on this?

long read but sums it up pretty well for anyone curious as to the spike a few years ago...

http://realcent.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1114
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby GTOJohn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:12 am

thanx for the post on nickel from the old forum - good reading. keep putting away $100 boxes !!!!
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins