Which is Better, Nickel or Copper?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

1. Nickel will outperform Copper
21%
2. Nickel is smarter, it requires no sorting
21%
3. Copper will outperform Nickel
10%
4. Copper represents an opportunity to make money by sorting, Nickel currently does not
49%

Total votes : 39

Postby beauanderos » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:25 am

Okay... we've got contests running for just about everything... and I don't want lonely old nickel to feel like a wallflower. :lol:

Do you think nickel will outperform copper on a percentage basis during a hyperinflationary scenario? Do you think the selling of nickel bags (of coins) will ever be widespread, in the same fashion that junk silver trades? Do you only sort for the silver war nicks? Or do you hoard nickel too?

Please feel free to enter the following contest and contribute your thoughts :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17790
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Which is Better, Nickel or Copper?

Postby reddirtcoins » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:26 pm

>Do you think nickel will outperform copper on a percentage basis during a hyperinflationary scenario?
Nope.

>Do you think the selling of nickel bags (of coins) will ever be widespread, in the same fashion that junk silver trades?
Heck Yes! Pennies too.

>Do you only sort for the silver war nicks? Or do you hoard nickel too?
I sort for war nickels and keep all of the 1938-1959. When they announce a composition change I'll stack. Until then I only care about the 38-59's.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ZenOps » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Its in the US best interest to keep the price of nickel low, since the US does not mine or produce any nickel of appreciable amount. It is also in Britains best interest to keep nickel low for the same reason. As long as the US, Britain and the EU is willing to print money to buy nickel - the price will remain low (and by low, I mean under $23/pound). Its in Canada, Russia, Austrailia and Indonesias best interest to see nickel rise to its rarity $ value (which arguably - could be right around silver) Two are commonwealth nations and so far it has been "given" out at a loss (much like how Canada gave the US $1 billion worth of free softwood lumber) in trade agreements.

Historically, Silver as a "standard" is in the best interest of Peru, Mexico and the US. Gold as a "standard" typically benefits Europe.

Every nation of any mention has a certain amount of copper (and silver, more in North America) production. Much more common than nickel, but also used for constructive purposes (electricity transmission)

Nickel is almost solely in shortage during wars. Silver has only been in shortage when people try to corner the market by hoarding - there technically has never been an actual shortage of usable silver. Silver is much more like vanilla beans in that way - One man *could* technically corner the market in it for a few months or a year, but there is always enough to produce as much flavoured ice creams for that year, etc...

Khadafi had 144 tons of gold. I'd suggest that any individual with means, should have at least a couple tons of copper and nickel. Most people already own 2 tons of iron (car frame) and 6.5 ounces of nickel (1.25 grams in each nickel) with maybe a few ounces more in your doorknobs and kitchen sink. Europeans should have about two ounces of nickel per person from their €1 and €2 coins. And before Canada started ARP'ing, every Canadian should have had 21 ounces per person.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:08 am

I voted for Nickel to outperform copper...but I really have no idea! :lol:

So I continue to stack US nickels and Pennies, as well as Canadian nickels and pennies when I can get them! Add in some silver, and now you're talking!

I can already imagine what my first 1/10 oz gold eagle will look like.... :)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ZenOps » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:19 am

Also: Copper is typically a "growth" metal. Nickel is more like gold, in that it goes up when SHTF. Silver actually drops in value when SHTF (one need only look at the US war nickels for proof of that)

Being a natural pessimist at this point in time, nickel.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby tedandcam » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:54 am

Nickel over copper in hyperinflationary situation. I keep war, key and semi-key sorted and stack 1938-1959. I do hoard any canadien .999 that my budget will allow(oh how I wish I had a source of canadien nickels to sort). I keep about 200 lbs of US copper cents and convert anything over that into .999 nickel, silver and canadian coppers. Au is my foundation for all of the above.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:47 am

Spot price of nickel will outperform copper. Low purity US nickels may not be as desirable as higher percentage cents though. But spot price should make up for the premium.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:00 am

don't forget to enter the Nickel contest... there's a few half decent prizes :shifty:
beauanderos

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:18 pm

A nickel contest you say?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:A nickel contest you say?

refer to the start of the thread :wave:
beauanderos

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins