Buffalo Nicks

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Buffalo Nicks

Postby jerry278 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Hey all!

I Was wondering everyones thoughts on Buffalo nicks (full date, partial horn) as an investment? Do people see them really appreciating down the road? Or not? Do people think its worth it to buy rolls of them? Just curious.

Appreciate the responses!
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Buffalo Nicks

Postby 999Ni » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:14 pm

sure, why not. down the road when they are impossible to find, $$$$$$$$$$$$
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby denny » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:15 pm

I have been buying alot of them via e buy... I THINK THEY ARE UNDER PRICED AT THE MOMENT
and time will make them jump I am buying all I can afford
denny
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby lewbo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:21 pm

What prices have you been paying for date and dateless? Here lately the prices seem to be all over the place. I bought a bunch a while back just wondering where they are at now.
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Yes, what is the general range for unsorted, full date Buffalos? I know the rule of thumb for Wheats is 4x face. What's a good, comfortable range for all of you to stock up on your Buffs?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby jerry278 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:16 pm

Apparently 'feebay' has the deals lately on rolls of full date buffalo nicks. if anybody checks this post, this auction ends in 20 mins and seems like a steal

http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Roll-of-Buffal ... 8463832788

typically though, a roll of full date buffalo nicks (partial horns) seem to average $20-$25 a roll (good condition P,D,S mints). It seems be a luck of the draw kinda thing. You could get lucky and get a roll with a $5 nick. It seems generally people dont really search the buffalo nicks for the rare dates, etc. They tend to just group them and sell them by, date, partial date or no date. and if they are 'full horns'. The '3 legged' buffalo is one that stands out and is defintely worth saving, $100+ I think.

I see rolls of 'full horned' 'full dates' going for around $40 a roll. In contrast a roll of 'no date' go for $8. I think if your buying any your gonna wanna buy the ones with the visible date. I personally dont think paying for the 'full horns' is really justified at the price difference, but I could be wrong.

Individually an average date (visible) in good condition with partial horns seems to be going for .50 to .65 cents each. 'Full horn $1.20-ish'.

I know Numismatics coins in general have taken a 'hit' from the economy and may not be the best investment. But buffalo nicks may prove to be the expection, especially with their reasonable price range. Also considering theres VERY FEW in circulation. I assume this is because the design is so much different from any other nickel/coin and if your average person comes across one in their pocket change, they're likely to hold on to it.

just my .5 cents ;)
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby lewbo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:37 pm

looks like it got bid up to $21 still probably a good deal.
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:21 am

If you're going to "invest" in coins, best to stick with key dates and don't overpay. There's a ton of common buffalo nickels running around out there.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins