Fees for Nickels in California?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Fees for Nickels in California?

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:58 am

Found this article on SurvivalBlog.com:

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/03/letter_re_the_coming_shortage.html

Any of you guys out there experiencing this?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Fees for Nickels in California?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:42 am

Not yet in central Florida, as of two weeks ago. I may buy a box again today; will post back if I find a fee.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 am

I am fairly certain that if it had happened to any realcenters, we would have already heard about it. But it would be nice if if someone in Cali could confirm. Why does that state always start the bad trends? just kidding...
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:51 am

Nope. Not here in FL yet. Just got a box at lunch; no questions, no fee.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby slvrbck » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:57 am

There was just an article on coinflation regarding rumblings that a treasury or fed official may have an announcement about changes in "bulk" coin order very soon. This nickel thing is definately catching on mainstream. Once an announcement is made or they become difficult to get, it will be too late to really get quantity @ FV.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pachucko » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 pm

I told you guys to keep quiet for another year or two!! :)
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby mr18 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:06 am

I live in Southern California (Orange County) and i have been purchasing nickel boxes ($100) and penny boxes ($25) with no questions asked. I usually carry exact change to give the teller less of a hassle. I have bought these boxes at Bank of America, Wells Fargo and Chase bank. All my zincs i dump at my local federal credit union and all my nickels, well, I just have them in my back yard laying around. I sort the pre 60's and the rest I just keep, the rest are enjoying the fresh air in an old box.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PennyBoy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Nickels in your backyard? In Orange County? I hope you don't live on/near the coast as the elements will destroy your metal.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby mr18 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:15 pm

No. I am about 25 miles away and my nickels are in a box inside my shed. That should be fine, right?
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PennyBoy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:56 pm

Yeah, I'm sure that's fine. I just pictured your nickels in the backyard in an open container.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby StoreOfValue » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:40 pm

I actually pictured them soaking up the rays. Shriveled brown nickels are pretty ugly.
“Gold is the currency of kings, silver is the currency of the educated, barter is the currency of the working-class, and debt is the currency of slaves.”
StoreOfValue

Postby misteroman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:50 pm

wow that is shocking. I might try ordering a box or two at a few spots and see if I hear anything
misteroman

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:14 pm

Should be a benefit of having an account with a particular bank. I have several minor accounts at banks. I'll take my cast off nickels from one bank and deposit them at another. Then make a $100 withdrawl at another in the form of a box o' nix. Keep it all on a spreadsheet. Sort of my own nickel pyramid scheme, but never a problem. If the fees start I'll have been a depositor at the banks for quite awhile. Got to beat them at their own game. These banks all count them in the $100 plastic bags and never a problem getting my old ones back. I mark about a dozen from each box with a colored Sharpie. Red for ones going to bank A, green for ones being dumped at Bank B and blue for those going to Bank C. Never any cross pollination from one bank to another.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Just picked up a box today at my bank (NY) and no fees misteroman. However the head teller did mention that he had heard that nickels were worth more than a nickel. I offered to sell him "my box" at a premium of course.
Food for thought- If banks start charging a fee for nickels this will present an opportunity for those who hold nickels to have some bargaining power with the banks and other institutions who need them. Better a box of nickels than a computer entry with numbers.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pachucko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:12 pm

I asked for a box of nickels and a box of Pennies at my bank today (WF). The guy tells me it'll be $140. Huh? I say. He says there is a $15 fee for coin for personal accounts. Oh well....
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Pachucko wrote:I asked for a box of nickels and a box of Pennies at my bank today (WF). The guy tells me it'll be $140. Huh? I say. He says there is a $15 fee for coin for personal accounts. Oh well....

Which bank? I haven't heard of this. I'd go to a new bank.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pachucko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:15 pm

WF - Wells Fargo.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pachucko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Which bank? I haven't heard of this. I'd go to a new bank.

Later I realized I should have asked if that's for any dollar amount. If so, I may try to order several months worth at once. That would make it worth it (to me) to avoid numerous trips.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins