Hoard of nickels

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Hoard of nickels

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:50 am

Question for the nickel guys..Is there a market for a huge hoard of nickels collected from the 1960s to 2005 or so..? No war nickels.. they were sorted out, but many earlier dates... maybe a couple 5 gallon pails of them.. thanks.. Diggin
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Hoard of nickels

Postby barrytrot » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:06 am

Diggin4copper wrote:Question for the nickel guys..Is there a market for a huge hoard of nickels collected from the 1960s to 2005 or so..? No war nickels.. they were sorted out, but many earlier dates... maybe a couple 5 gallon pails of them.. thanks.. Diggin

I think you only get a premium on BU coins or coins prior to 1960.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hejira11 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:41 am

I was given 3 1940's nickels, I know they are not valuable for melt content, and they are VERY circulated. I also found a 1986 Canadian nickel, which I also know is not .999 Ni

Is the 86 Canadian 85Cu/25Ni?

Should I seperate the 1940's era (aside from the 42-45) ?

Thanks!!!!
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Having all the warnix pulled out already takes some of the excitement factor out of the pails. If there are mintmarked issues in there from 1938 and 1939, then that may be a way to boost your energy level for what could be an otherwise tedious process. Nicks from the 1940s may be available in F to XF, but there's not much of a market for those unless on a roll basis through e-Bay or Numismatic News. Cool to have, but sadly not much beyond that. Talk to a local coin dealer and see if they're able to take some of your earlier date rolls on consignment or may have access to some market (like Littleton) that you don't.

If those were mine, I'd have to sort the pails in place as it'd wipe out my back to move them.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm

As long as nickels are in circulation with their current copper/nickel form, there could be no market. Anyone can get these at a bank for face value. I think a market will form once they change the metal. It will happen and soon. I think you should hold them. There day is coming...
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pachucko » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Question for the nickel guys..Is there a market for a huge hoard of nickels collected from the 1960s to 2005 or so..? No war nickels.. they were sorted out, but many earlier dates... maybe a couple 5 gallon pails of them.. thanks.. Diggin

Do you just need to dump them and are having trouble?
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:47 am

The premium will appear immediately after you cash yours in at the bank. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:01 am

Pachucko wrote:

Do you just need to dump them and are having trouble?

No, I am going to buy a lot of pennies, and he offered me the nickles too.. I did not want to pass on a big load if someone thought the older nickels were worth sorting out...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pachucko » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Well I'd give him face, maybe a little bit more if it's a lot.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby coppercounter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm sorry... new to this game. Could SOMEONE PPLLEEAASSEE explain to me why I should be hoarding a coin that is 75% copper and 25% nickel called a Nickel. Up until '85, Canada had a true NICKEL. Cool, neat base metal that's value is actually by the ton. Living in Arkansas, I collect the "beavers" because they are .999 nickel and you just see those very often down here. I just don't see the ratio of copper and nickel becoming a threat to the nations economy. Like I said, kinda new here, so I would LOVE for some one to open my eyes. :?
coppercounter

Postby coppercounter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Sorry, meant you just don't see them that often down here.
coppercounter

Postby Mossy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:59 pm

coppercounter wrote:I'm sorry... new to this game. Could SOMEONE PPLLEEAASSEE explain to me why I should be hoarding a coin that is 75% copper and 25% nickel called a Nickel.
http://www.coinflation.com/ I have a few, not many.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:08 pm

coppercounter wrote:I'm sorry... new to this game. Could SOMEONE PPLLEEAASSEE explain to me why I should be hoarding a coin that is 75% copper and 25% nickel called a Nickel. Up until '85, Canada had a true NICKEL. Cool, neat base metal that's value is actually by the ton. Living in Arkansas, I collect the "beavers" because they are .999 nickel and you just see those very often down here. I just don't see the ratio of copper and nickel becoming a threat to the nations economy. Like I said, kinda new here, so I would LOVE for some one to open my eyes. :?

There are only two circulating US coins that are worth at much as face value, or more; the copper penny and the nickel.

The copper penny has greater face value, 3x at the moment, and actually does trade at 1.5x-1.8x in real life, but you have to work much harder to get it since average returns are only 20%. You can stash it in hopes of getting 3x or more in the future, but you still have to work hard for it. You will work less hard if you invest money in sorting equipment, but you've then got overhead, you've still got to spend the time developing supply lines and dump banks, and take the time to move them around. The choice has a lot to do with how much spare time you've got, how much free cash you've got, and how much you value your time. Those with cash but no time will tend to buy them pre-sorted from those with time but not much cash.

The nickel can be gotten from the banks with no effort, by the box load, at face value. Intrinsic value is about 1.4x now, and it arguably will be worth more than face some day. Again, no effort involved, and risk free. But it ties up capital that many argue could be better spent elsewhere. Unless you have a view that you need to get them now while they are easy to get.

Different strokes for different folks. A lot of folks do both. Then have a good time trying argue which one is better to have.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppercounter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Hey, '68, thanks for the response. Starting to see the idea and reason.
coppercounter

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:28 am

I posted this on another thread, but I'll repost it here...

A silver war nickel (1942 - 1945) was worth 7 cents in 1966 and is now worth roughly $2 today (i.e. 45 years later). So today a CuNi nickel is worth 7 cents, let's say in 45 years each Nickel is worth $2. That would make a $100 box of nickels today worth $4000. But, that $4000 would be in the year 2056 dollars and worth much less. If we calculate what $4000 today was equivalent to in 1966, based on historical CPI data, we come up with $588.49. Source: http://myinflationrate.com/history_of_t ... _index.php

So, theoretically you can turn $100 into $588 of buying power by just visiting your bank and buying a $100 box of nickels. Granted you won't be able to access that buying power until 2056! But, the grandkids will.

The key assumptions here would be:
1) CuNi will appreciate at the rate silver did over the last 45 years
2) inflation over the next 45 years will be at the same rate as the last 45 years

What this also shows is that the appreciation in silver value has far outpaced the inflation rate of a diversified basket of goods as measured by the CPI.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:20 pm

I love buying bricks of nickels,and I think if i had more working capital,Id stach em all,but as it is,I pull the wars,40s 50s and whatever other surprizes out,and dump em so I can afford to buy that next box of halves,or what have you.My coin roll search funds are limited....my wife wont let me tap the savings account for coin searching! You guys that just stack bricks,dont you ever wanna open em up to look for wars and buffalos? I couldnt resist!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins