Neat Article on Silver Nickels

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Neat Article on Silver Nickels

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 am

War Nickels Were Made With Silver

I love this statement from the article:

They finally decided to use an alloy of copper, silver and manganese. It may not seem practical today, but in 1942 the silver in the revised nickel was only worth one or two cents.

This statement really caught my attention too:

By the 1960s, wartime five-cent pieces were worth more than face value. Millions were melted, despite the Mint director’s warning the meltings were not in the public interest. In 1966, silver-alloy nickels were worth seven cents. Massive meltings resulted in a severe shortage of five-cent pieces in New England.

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=18883

The above link was found on Coinflation. http://coinflation.com/
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Re: Neat Article on Silver Nickels

Postby inflationhawk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Ok, just for fun, let's do some extrapolation and make some assumptions. That silver nickel worth 7 cents in 1966 is now worth roughly $2 today (i.e. 45 years later). So today a CuNi nickel is worth 7 cents, let's say in 45 years each Nickel is worth $2. That would make a $100 box of nickels today worth $4000. But, that $4000 would be in the year 2056 dollars and worth much less. If we calculate what $4000 today was equivalent to in 1966, based on historical CPI data, we come up with $588.49. Source: http://myinflationrate.com/history_of_the_consumer_price_index.php

So, theoretically you can turn $100 into $588 of buying power by just visiting your bank and buying a $100 box of nickels. Granted you won't be able to access that buying power until 2056! But, the grandkids will.

The key assumptions here would be:
1) CuNi will appreciate at the rate silver did over the last 45 years
2) inflation over the next 45 years will be at the same rate as the last 45 years

What this also shows is that the appreciation in silver value has far outpaced the inflation rate of a diversified basket of goods as measured by the CPI.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:55 pm

inflationhawk wrote:Ok, just for fun, let's do some extrapolation and make some assumptions. That silver nickel worth 7 cents in 1966 is now worth roughly $2 today (i.e. 45 years later). So today a CuNi nickel is worth 7 cents, let's say in 45 years each Nickel is worth $2. That would make a $100 box of nickels today worth $4000. But, that $4000 would be in the year 2056 dollars and worth much less. If we calculate what $4000 today was equivalent to in 1966, based on historical CPI data, we come up with $588.49. Source: http://myinflationrate.com/history_of_the_consumer_price_index.php

So, theoretically you can turn $100 into $588 of buying power by just visiting your bank and buying a $100 box of nickels. Granted you won't be able to access that buying power until 2056! But, the grandkids will.

2) inflation over the next 45 years will be at the same rate as the last 45 years

What this also shows is that the appreciation in silver value has far outpaced the inflation rate of a diversified basket of goods as measured by the CPI.

Outstanding analysis. Thanks.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:04 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
inflationhawk wrote:Ok, just for fun, let's do some extrapolation and make some assumptions. That silver nickel worth 7 cents in 1966 is now worth roughly $2 today (i.e. 45 years later). So today a CuNi nickel is worth 7 cents, let's say in 45 years each Nickel is worth $2. That would make a $100 box of nickels today worth $4000. But, that $4000 would be in the year 2056 dollars and worth much less. If we calculate what $4000 today was equivalent to in 1966, based on historical CPI data, we come up with $588.49. Source: http://myinflationrate.com/history_of_the_consumer_price_index.php

Outstanding analysis. Thanks.

I second that! VERY GOOD WORK! If ever there was a solid mathematical justification to save nickels... THIS IS IT!

The ONLY REAL problem I see with this analysis (expanding on one of your assumptions) is the ratio of silver to nickel in the earth. Silver after all IS MUCH more rare than Nickel when dealing with elements and also Nickel doesn't posses near as good of valuable qualities as silver (otherwise it would be used in place of silver right now). I see this as being the main driver behind assumption #1 that you mentioned. I do believe that it is possible though that your #2 assumption could grow enough possibly to offset this aspect since in 45 years CuNi coins will most likely be EXCEPTIONALLY rare (after all... there weren't 7 billion people or 300 Million in the US with internet access when the silver went gone! It was SOLELY word of mouth and individual speculation).
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Johnny99 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:49 pm

In 1953, Francis Henning made counterfeit nickels in his New Jersey machine shop.

Now there's a criminal who thinks small!
Johnny99

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins