Canadian Victory Nickel

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Canadian Victory Nickel

Postby slvrbck » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:27 pm

So I was at the local bank today dumping some zincs. When the counter turned on a 1945 canadian victory nickel plopped into the reject tray along with a british penny and several other common canadians that must have been stuck in the machine. Im a nickel guy and have never found a canadian victory. Sounds like it is chrome plated steel, so nothing too special there, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything else about these and if it is a relatively rare find. Thanks in advance.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Re: Canadian Victory Nickel

Postby NickelExpress » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Ive been sorting nickels for awhile (In Canada) I found my first victory nickel the other day. In circulation they are fairly rare. The 2005 version is common however.
NickelExpress
Penny Sorter Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 pm

A neat little tid bit I might add is there is morris code along the inside of the rim that reads "we win when we work willingly"

I have a roll of these. They are my most common king coin. I find them when rolling up my .999 Ni rejects because they stick out like a sore thumb.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:35 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:A neat little tid bit I might add is there is morris code along the inside of the rim that reads "we win when we work willingly"

I have a roll of these. They are my most common king coin. I find them when rolling up my .999 Ni rejects because they stick out like a sore thumb.

That's really interesting. Thanks for posting about it. I love learning something new. When I do, I figure a day hasn't been wasted.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:22 pm

Any you can find without rust are probably worth keeping. You're right in saying this and the war issues from almost every country are an interesting piece of history.

I do turn the rusty ones loose into circulation when I go to Canada. For many years I was buying bulk CDN coins at 60-70% of face. My sources have wised up now that the exchange rate has shifted in favor of Canada. No more great deals, but I still get a trickle now and then from relatives or from yard sales, etc.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins