Who "fills" the $200 bank bags of nickels?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Who "fills" the $200 bank bags of nickels?

Postby aaa30040 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:20 pm

I got a few bags today and results were way better than my usual. Just curious - who fills the bank bags?

Do the commercial customers deposit them as $200 bags
or loose and sorted/bagged by bank
or loose and sorted/bagged by armored car service?
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Who "fills" the $200 bank bags of nickels?

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon May 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Most bags are filled by your average everyday Joe's. Some do come from commercial accounts, but I'd say most are from individuals.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby lakehouse » Tue May 24, 2011 9:16 am

Better than usual? Buffs, silver, etc.
lakehouse

Postby NHsorter » Tue May 24, 2011 11:35 am

I fill a bunch of $200 nickel bags and deposit them at my bank. You won't find anything good in my bags though!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aaa30040 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:30 pm

lakehouse wrote:Better than usual? Buffs, silver, etc.

This week 3 bags ($600)

1 barber dime
2 V nickels
2 buffalos with dates
3 buffalos dateless
4 war nickels
1 1950D
3 plastic play pennies
2 quarters
3 dimes
6 zinc pennies
4 coins from Turkey

Whoever filled them, I need to find them and get more just like these.
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue May 24, 2011 4:17 pm

aaa30040 wrote:
lakehouse wrote:Better than usual? Buffs, silver, etc.

This week 3 bags ($600)

1 barber dime
2 V nickels
2 buffalos with dates
3 buffalos dateless
4 war nickels
1 1950D
3 plastic play pennies
2 quarters
3 dimes
6 zinc pennies
4 coins from Turkey

Whoever filled them, I need to find them and get more just like these.

I have not been able to find a bank that will sell me bags...yet! But I was wondering about something related to the bags in general. When I read the contents of the nickel bags above, for example, if all those non-5 cent coins were actually nickels, would the total come to exactly $600 in nickels? In other words, if bags are always filled so sloppily or without attention to the contents being exactly what they should be, does the total in the bag ever come up short? If they are short, is that just a cost of doing business?

I recently purchased a Brinks box of dimes. One of the rolls only had 45 dimes in it. Can't go back to the bank and ask for a refund though.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue May 24, 2011 5:25 pm

shinnosuke wrote:I have not been able to find a bank that will sell me bags...yet! But I was wondering about something related to the bags in general. When I read the contents of the nickel bags above, for example, if all those non-5 cent coins were actually nickels, would the total come to exactly $600 in nickels? In other words, if bags are always filled so sloppily or without attention to the contents being exactly what they should be, does the total in the bag ever come up short? If they are short, is that just a cost of doing business?

I recently purchased a Brinks box of dimes. One of the rolls only had 45 dimes in it. Can't go back to the bank and ask for a refund though.

I used to get a bit annoyed when I got shorted coins in bags or boxes. Over time, the extra change I picked up at coin sorter machines from others that did not check the coin return and the coins left in the machine filling sluice uncounted do make up for the shorted amounts IMHO.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue May 24, 2011 5:44 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:I have not been able to find a bank that will sell me bags...yet! But I was wondering about something related to the bags in general. When I read the contents of the nickel bags above, for example, if all those non-5 cent coins were actually nickels, would the total come to exactly $600 in nickels? In other words, if bags are always filled so sloppily or without attention to the contents being exactly what they should be, does the total in the bag ever come up short? If they are short, is that just a cost of doing business?

I used to get a bit annoyed when I got shorted coins in bags or boxes. Over time, the extra change I picked up at coin sorter machines from others that did not check the coin return and the coins left in the machine filling sluice uncounted do make up for the shorted amounts IMHO.

Yeah, no sweat really. I recently picked up an Ike dollar (unfortunately not silver) that was stuck in the coin counter. The previous guy jammed the machine with it and didn't bother to ask a teller to open up the counter to get it back. I know I am in the black with all the other stuff I have picked up.

But what I really want to know is how exact are the bags by count (of coins) even if they are not accurate by the types of coins?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue May 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Although not nickel, I know that my penny bags are always over a bit. Not to mention the dimes in there do not seem to count against the total coin count. In other words the dimes are free, not just an extra nine cents.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Coppercrazy » Tue May 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of the machines I dump in and the bags off the machine I buy,but I dont have a way of checking for it. In the end I think us searchers come out ahead because were pulling better than face coins,finding dimes for pennies,and always scoring in the reject tray.One penny bag I bought
was noticably larger than others,it had to be over 50 face.Keep on searching!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue May 24, 2011 8:51 pm

Coppercrazy wrote:Sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of the machines I dump in and the bags off the machine I buy,but I dont have a way of checking for it. In the end I think us searchers come out ahead because were pulling better than face coins,finding dimes for pennies,and always scoring in the reject tray.One penny bag I bought
was noticably larger than others,it had to be over 50 face.Keep on searching!

Keep on keeping on.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CU Baker » Sat May 28, 2011 9:18 am

I found a little bank out in the sticks here in Minn. They had 9 two hundred dollar bags of nicks so I took them all. Run them in my coin counter and was $3.72 over with the qt"s dimes, and pennies. They had 7 thousand dollar bags of dimes, and one was $33 dollars short, filled the extra with pennies. Huh: The good thing about these bags I averaged 12 silver dimes out of each of the seven bags. I love looking for these little small town banks.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Number21 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:20 pm

At the credit union where I get my coins, the bagged stuff is what they take out of their coin sorting machines in the lobby. I'm doing them a favor by taking them away so they don't have to pay the armored company to ship, count, and re-roll them.
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:50 pm

CU Baker wrote:I found a little bank out in the sticks here in Minn. They had 9 two hundred dollar bags of nicks so I took them all. Run them in my coin counter and was $3.72 over with the qt"s dimes, and pennies. They had 7 thousand dollar bags of dimes, and one was $33 dollars short, filled the extra with pennies. Huh: The good thing about these bags I averaged 12 silver dimes out of each of the seven bags. I love looking for these little small town banks.

Are you hand sorting the bags and if so are you using a magnify glass?
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins