Revealing the Dates on Buffalo Nickels

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Revealing the Dates on Buffalo Nickels

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:01 am

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, as I usually only read the silver or copper threads... but does anyone know if the process described in the linked article would work on silver coins without damaging them? Think of the potential of ebay sales if an opportunistic seller did a bit of research on the recoverability of obliterated dates without damaging the coins? You could market a bunch of total slicks as potentially containing great rarities you could then specify. Of course, you would mention that doctoring coins can lower their value... but c'mon... if you have the possibility of possessing a high-dollar coin in ANY grade (and remember, its just a slick now) wouldn't you jump at it? See article that is linked:
http://www.csudh.edu/oliver/demos/buffnick/buffnick.htm
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Revealing the Dates on Buffalo Nickels

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:55 am

Vinegar, of course, is a weak acid. There is an established similar process based on an ASTM standard used for revealing metal stamps. Gets used in the vintage car restoration business when a machine shop has accidently machined off the VIN stamp on an engine block. Have never tried this for anything but cars/cast iron, but there is no reason it wouldn't work in other cases - I just haven't done any research on those others. See link below. Please take care, be safe etc, read the safety precautions when working with acid - standard disclaimer apply

http://www.camaros.org/public/acidetch.txt
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks, Rich for the link. I really don't have time to try this myself, but would be interested in the results of anyone who conducted some research on this. Kurr seems like a good candidate :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby TXBullion » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:16 am

Def sound promising, would like to hear if Kurr is interested in trying it!
TXBullion

Postby Rob72830 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 am

As a coin collector I am against most coin cleaning, however dateless Buffalo nickles are not valuable and dateless SLQ are only worth melt so I say go ahead and give it a shot. Who knows, maybe you will find that Type 1.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cerulean » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:41 am

I once soaked a slick Buffalo nickel in vinegar for three months. Afterwards, there was a ghost of a date visible. If I squinted at it really hard, I could maybe read "1925". But the vinegar took all the shine off the metal. It's an ugly gray and completely non-reflective now.
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Cerulean wrote:I once soaked a slick Buffalo nickel in vinegar for three months. Afterwards, there was a ghost of a date visible. If I squinted at it really hard, I could maybe read "1925". But the vinegar took all the shine off the metal. It's an ugly gray and completely non-reflective now.

Three months in vinegar. That thing must of smelled like an old colored easter egg after that soaking. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins